• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does a '+x' on a weapon add 'x' to your attack roll, your damage roll, or both?

Taloth

First Post
all in the title. I'm 99% sure it adds to your attack roll, but it was never clear if it added to your damage roll or not. if annyone can help me out, that would be great.

kitcik

Adventurer
Was never made clear in 1st Ed. I saw weapons that had separate bonuses for each.

Everything after that, it applied to both.

1st Edition DMG page 165 (Swords) "All magic swords receive their sacred bnonus both for purposes of hitting (as a bonus to the "to hit" die) and for damage (as +1, +2, +3, etc. addition to hit points of damage scored."

1st Edition DMG page 168 (Miscellaneous Weapons) "The various items listed generally have their bonus applied to both "to hit" and damage dice, whether is is +1, +2, +3, or +4"

Seems pretty clear to me.

Thorindale

First Post
Was never made clear in 1st Ed. I saw weapons that had separate bonuses for each.

In 1st/2nd, your Strength score provided one bonus to hit, and a second bonus on damage.

ie, STR 18 = +1 to hit, +2 damage

Remove ads