D&D 5E Does an item to enhance Unarmed Strike exist?

Tormyr

Hero
Amulet for the zombie monk. ;)

Halloween Zombie GIF by Carowinds

greg kaye

Explorer
I think the use of what I'll call peripheral magical items for monks confuses the flavours.
We read:

The Magic of Ki​

Monks make careful study of a magical energy that most monastic traditions call ki. This energy is an element of the magic that suffuses the multiverse—specifically, the element that flows through living bodies. Monks harness this power within themselves to create magical effects and exceed their bodies’ physical capabilities, and some of their special attacks can hinder the flow of ki in their opponents. Using this energy, monks channel uncanny speed and strength into their unarmed strikes. ...
and:

Ki-Empowered Strikes​

Starting at 6th level, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
An item idea for some kind of mystical "way of hand..." amulet could allow the unarmed strikes of 1st to 5th-level monks to count as magical and, from 6th level, to count as +x.

What I have always found appealing about monks is that they don't need weapons or fancy gear, so I'd rather make this some sort of class feature rather than an item.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Without having read the whole thread, I'm sure others have answered with some version of: "As soon as the GM wills it into existence, it exists."

Invent magic items for your players. It's one of the joys of GMing.

ECMO3

Hero
My monk player asked (reasonably) if there was any way he could get a magic item to boost his unarmed strike to-hit and damage like a magical weapon would. Essentially he wants a +1 weapon, but just for his hands.

Quickly glancing through the DMG magic items (which are horribly organized IMHO) I didn't see anything. Since he is gaining the bonus to hit AND damage, but not gaining anything from the "counts as a magic weapon" ability I let him purchase a custom made spiked glove affair from a dwarven craftsman for 600gp.

Does such an item actually exist and I missed it?

DS

Insignia of Claws is uncommon gives +1 to attack and damage and it is not attunement.

Eldritch Claw Tatoo is also uncommon and would give another +1 to each and let you attack from 15 feet away once a day.

Dragon Hide Belt is freaking awesome giving a +1 on Stunning Strike DCs and other ki subclass DCs as well, while also letting Monks regain Ki without a short rest.

Clint_L

Hero
Insignia of Claws is uncommon gives +1 to attack and damage and it is not attunement.

Eldritch Claw Tatoo is also uncommon and would give another +1 to each and let you attack from 15 feet away once a day.
Plus adds 1d6 damage to every attack while giving you that 15' range, which means your monk can go mini-nova. My monk recently got these tattoos, and it is pretty fun to be able to go nuts on the BBEG.
Dragon Hide Belt is freaking awesome giving a +1 on Stunning Strike DCs and other ki subclass DCs as well, while also letting Monks regain Ki without a short rest.
It can be +1 to +3, depending on rarity, and yes, it does a great job of helping monks with their low DCs and perennial ki shortage.

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Since we're rocking with the act of necromancy now, it would be amiss to not mention the non-attunement Wraps of Unarmed Prowess (in +1, +2, and +3 variants) from the Book of Many Things, which makes unarmed strikes magical and adds their respective bonus to attacks and damage.

Remove ads