• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does antimagic field blocks line of effect?

Drowbane

First Post
Yes and No.

AMF should block LoE for any sort of magical attack (supernatural, spell-like, spell...), but it wouldn't hinder a arrow (magical* or mundane) what-so-ever.

* the arrow would lose its magic damage if it hit a target in the AMF, but if just flying through it would retain its normal bonuses.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Drowbane said:
Yes and No.

AMF should block LoE for any sort of magical attack (supernatural, spell-like, spell...), but it wouldn't hinder a arrow (magical* or mundane) what-so-ever.

* the arrow would lose its magic damage if it hit a target in the AMF, but if just flying through it would retain its normal bonuses.
This is my reading as well. Line of Effect depends on the specifics of the effect.

Just like silence blocks line of effect for [Sonic] effects, but not most others.

Cheers, -- N

eamon

Explorer
What Drowbane, Andyr & Nifft said:

Line of Effect is effect-specific (line of which effect?) - a barrier to magic like the antimagic field blocks Line of magic Effect.

styker

First Post
For example, i use antimagic field in myself, i am in a door, can a wizard target a spell behind me (in my allies for example) ? With a wall of force the wizard cant, but with the field, does it blocks this kind of line of effect?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
styker said:
For example, i use antimagic field in myself, i am in a door, can a wizard target a spell behind me (in my allies for example) ? With a wall of force the wizard cant, but with the field, does it blocks this kind of line of effect?

"An invisible barrier surrounds you and moves with you. The space within this barrier is impervious to most magical effects, including spells..."

The area of the AMF is impervious to spells - it may not be penetrated by spells.

A line of effect requires an unblocked path; if you want to cast a spell on a target, and there is an AMF between you, the path from you to your target is blocked by an area that may not be penetrated by spells.

-Hyp.

zeroorez

First Post
"this barrier is impervious to most magical effects" ?
except it does not block it only suppresses so you have two options to rule this block line of effect either let the line of effect go through or have it stop at the first square of the field and wait untill the field is gone to release its suppresed magical energy.

DreamChaser

Explorer
zeroorez said:
"this barrier is impervious to most magical effects" ?
except it does not block it only suppresses so you have two options to rule this block line of effect either let the line of effect go through or have it stop at the first square of the field and wait untill the field is gone to release its suppresed magical energy.

If it is not being targeted to the other side of the AMF
and
it has a duration other than instant
and
it has the ability to "wait" until the field is gone before continuing
then maybe this is true.

so basically, a summoned creature could wait for the effect to move on. a lightning bolt or fireball cannot.

The whole point of LoE (as throughly discussed in the Call Lightning thread) is that it requires an interrupted line not impeded by a solid barrier. To Magic, AMF is a solid barrier. Thus, magic cannot pass through it to get to the other side.

DC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads