• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anybody else give out XP bonuses for "extras"?

werk

First Post
I've played in groups where the DM would do that, but it seemed far too much like rewarding the player.

I do not do that IMC, but I'm happy to give out XP rewards for playing well.

mvincent

Explorer
FunkBGR said:
My players take on jobs w/o compensation.

I guess I'm lucky.
Ya know... I've noticed that XP compensation doesn't make much of a difference. Players typically do what they want to do without this consideration. Still, it's nice to be appreciated.

Besides, the real rewards (besides "satisfaction in a job well done" and "I just enjoy doing it") for such tasks may not be obvious. Anything that makes a DM's life easier can result in faster and/or more frequent games (even for power-gamers this means more XP and loot in less real time).

I've discovered that being able to efficiently run the initiative board for the DM can not only gives you a real tactical advantage, but can also allow you to go through up to twice as many encounters each session (due to setting an increased pace of taking your turns).

Bavix

First Post
No Player XP

I don't award XP for anything except what the characters themselves encounter. All "out-of-game" player rewards are done with Action Points.

NightCrawler

First Post
I believe that its good to give binus xp when the players:

1)Keep notes about the story...
2)Keep notes about the important NPC names (the name of the town's king etc)...
3)Are consentrated on the game in sessions...
4)Play inteligently...

Keep in mind that all these are not a ''must'' in your campaign... But i believe it can add chalenge in your game...

NewJeffCT

First Post
I had meant in addition to role-playing bonuses, which I would also give out as well. But, I like the idea of action/fate points, or at least a free re-roll.

seans23

First Post
In my RTTTOEE campaign that appears to be dead, I would give 250-500 XP for character logs of previous sessions, but they had to be in character.

I used to do this... But then I stopped using experience points. Now, I give action points for these sorts of activities (including doing things like keeping a character diary, doing a character portrait, etc.) I also give action points for things that the characters do (or have done to them).

Later
silver

Remove ads