• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anybody have any cool random encounters?

Sanackranib

First Post
I posted "the owlbear incident" on the scarred lands thread, but I'm curious about some of the cool random encounters that some of you have come up with. Anybody care to share?

Sanackranib

First Post
random encounters

I didn't post that because I was fishin' but because I was bored and looking for good reading material. Ok maby I was fishin' to but I have heard some interesting encounters and I'm always open to more.

DonAdam

Explorer
There needs to be some kind of evil spellcaster involved, so I'm not sure how random this is, but...

An ogre polymorphed into a troll and a troll polymorphed into an ogre.

The party will waste all of its fire and acid on the ogre that looks like a troll, leaving the real troll to shred the party.

On that note, a troll polymorphed into anything is nice, but the above combo works well for wasting party resources rather than just not alerting the players to the need to use them.

Also, just as a general note, use undead in general, and ghouls and ghasts specifically, in the water. They can grapple and drown the players, especially if they paralyze with attacks.

Terra_Ferax_Mark

First Post
A Shameless Plug That Might Help You Out

Terra Ferax Wilderness Encounters
Terra Ferax Innovations
DOWNLOAD PRICE: $6.00 SPECIAL: $5.00
File size: 1.4 MB Zip size: 1.3 MB
Buy It At RPGNow

Chris Simmons gave it 4 of 5 stars. Here are his comments:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=181&reviews_id=388&

Since Third Edition leverages monster advancement options like never before, there has never been a better edition for outdoor encounters.
Wish Third Edition had wilderness encounter tables like earlier editions? This guide to the outdoors covers

weather (divided seasonally for ease of use with Terra Ferax or any campaign with summer, spring, winter and fall),
food sources,
water sources,
gems found in the wilderness (pearls in water, etc.)
plus three separate sections, each detailing monster encounters for cold, temperate and warm climates. Each climate is subdivided into
aquatic,
desert (wasteland),
forest,
hills,
mountains,
plains (clear),
and swamps.
Five pages of Open Game Content features four new monsters plus a monstrous template.
tfi4001.jpg

Sanackranib

First Post
polymorphed . . .

DonAdam said:
There needs to be some kind of evil spellcaster involved, so I'm not sure how random this is, but...

An ogre polymorphed into a troll and a troll polymorphed into an ogre.

The party will waste all of its fire and acid on the ogre that looks like a troll, leaving the real troll to shred the party.

On that note, a troll polymorphed into anything is nice, but the above combo works well for wasting party resources rather than just not alerting the players to the need to use them.

Also, just as a general note, use undead in general, and ghouls and ghasts specifically, in the water. They can grapple and drown the players, especially if they paralyze with attacks.
It was my understanding that once a polymorphed creature misses its save that it actually becomes said creature. has that changed? Illusion magic would also work good for this type of encounter . . . . hummmmmm . . . .

wolff96

First Post
One that I thought particularly devastating recently...

A kobold rogue -- with very high interpersonal skills -- walks up and openly hails the guard at the fire. He and his friend (another rogue) talk, share food, sing (important -- allows cleric and any other attackers to get closer by penalizing guard's listen checks), and generally make nice until the whole party is calm again.

That's when their clerical buddy casts Silence on one of the two rogues (whichever is closer to the guard). Rogue voluntarily fails his save. The two rogues attack the guard, trying to flank him for sneak attack damage while the cleric tries to cast Hold Person on the guard.

If it works, then the rest of the party is easily Coup de Grace'd in their sleep.

We foiled it -- luck, mostly -- and found a major amount of money and items from where this nasty little trio had been ambushing small caravans and other travelling groups.

Remove ads