• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anybody have Spells and Spellcraft ?

Corwyn

First Post
I checked the reviews but there is only one.

So I was wondering if anybody has it and if you do is it any good, and do you use it in your campaings??

Just wondering if I should purchase it or not...

Simon Magalis

First Post
I bought it and it looks good so far. I haven't had a chance to look at it very closely. It is similar to other BP stuff... it is a little on the odd side from the standard D&D stuff, but if you liked the previous books and the strangeness didn't bother you, then you may very well enjoy this one as well.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Simon Magalis said:
I bought it and it looks good so far. I haven't had a chance to look at it very closely. It is similar to other BP stuff...

"Spells and Spellcraft" isn't Bastion Press. It's Fantasy Flight Games. "Spells and Magic" is Bastion Press's book.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I bought it and it ROCKS!!! Lots of crunchy goodness to grab!

We use the familar enhancements and glyph eggs (magic grenades) so far, plus a few spells. We will be using the library building rules shortly now that our wizard has the cash and base to store all those books she wants to buy.

I really want to use the "small gods" rules as well (minor deities of CR 5-18 with limited power compared to other "greater powers" but which can be called upon to directly intervene on its worshipper's behalf once per week).

SkeletonKey Ed

Explorer
The Bastion Press book is Spells & Magic.

Fantasy Flight published Spells & Spellcraft.

I don't have Spells & Magic yet, but I think Spells & Spellcraft has a lot of good stuff in it. The small god section is great and the familiar section is useful. If you are looking for a lot of new spells, the ones in S&S aren't the greatest. If you want some new flavor for magic in your campaign, I would recommend it.

Cheers - Ed

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
LOL. I didn't like Bastion's Spells & Magic nearly as much... certainly not enough to buy. Bastion's books are overproduced and overpriced, with that disastrously garish and amateur felt pen art from Todd Morasch ruining the flavor.

The art is FFG's Spells & Spellcraft is great!

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Simon Magalis said:

Oh well, what can I say? I'm an idiot. hehe

Not at all. Names are very, very similiar.

Hey- wanna know how many times I have seen/heard people refer to my site as the Creature Collection or the two monster books from Swords and Sorcery as the Creature Catalogs? :D

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I think I only did that once, and that was in conversation about about monster conversions. :) The rest of time, Scott, I call it by it's proper name. :D

thundershot

Adventurer
I've had Spells & Spellcraft for several weeks now, and I've got to say...

IT'S A WONDERFUL BOOK! The familiar enhancements are a WONDERFUL way to add flavor to them. Some of the alternate familiars seem a tad powerful, like they should require the "improved familiar" feat.. but it's easy enough to just.. REQUIRE it. :D it has several nifty spells, and not a whole lot of magic items, it does have lots of other things like golem creation, and using different components in item creation..

Chris

Remove ads