OSR Does anybody know anything about this OSR adventure: Gods of the Forbidden North?

Libertad

Hero
Here's the link for it. I see it has maintained one of the top selling products on Drive-Thru RPG's OSR category, so I figured to ask around and see if anyone else has it. The product page alone doesn't have much: it seems to emphasis the largeness of content more than the specific unique parts of the adventure, which to me give some vague Northern European vibes with sword and sorcery. From what I got from the avertising blurb, it's a hexcrawl setting containing a megadungeon.

How much of the content is devoted to the megadungeon, and how much to the hexcrawl? How innovative and varied are the adventure locations? Does the setting have anything that separates it from generic medieval fantasy/sword and sorcery?

Jahydin

Hero
Just bought it myself not too long ago. Skimmed through it and my first impression is it's MASSIVE. Overall vibe is very Hyperborean if you're familiar with that game. Cosmic horrors and all that.

First 100 pages are setting.
Next 30 is an intro adventure to get things started.
Next 100 is the hex map and all the keyed areas of interest (lots to explore!)
Next 120 is five more adventures. So not really a "mega" dungeon, but lots of normal ones.
Finally, about 100 pages of appendices. New items, spells, monsters, that sort of thing.

470 pages in total. So much art!

Libertad

Hero
You said that the megadungeon isn't really a megadungeon. Are they actually fully disconnected from each other, or do they have a common geographical link of some kind? Like a bunch of caves in a larger tunnel network being technically the same underground system?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
You said that the megadungeon isn't really a megadungeon. Are they actually fully disconnected from each other, or do they have a common geographical link of some kind? Like a bunch of caves in a larger tunnel network being technically the same underground system?
The project grew during developments and it has became a 3-volume affair. The megadungeon itself will be in volume 3.

Jahydin

Hero
Look's to be disconnected geographically (although all on the same hex map), but linked story wise (like a Pathfinder Adventure Path).

I'll have more time to look through it tonight though.

Remove ads