• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone actually like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

Do you like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

• I love them both

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I like them both

Votes: 228 31.3%
  • I love/like Dragonborn, not so much Tieflings

Votes: 59 8.1%
  • I love/like Tieflings, not so much Dragonborn

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I dislike them both

Votes: 130 17.8%
  • I hate them both

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 66 9.1%

jackston2

First Post
Look at Final Fantasy Tactics concept art, it will make you like them both.

Bangaa dragoons and templars for Dragonborn, and Grie raptors for the Tiefling.

frankthedm

First Post
Tieflings are fine in my book, I kind of think of them as a hybrid of Melnibonéans and Men of Leng. As such they should be persecuted in all but the most cosmopolitan cities.

Dragonborn just need to steal the Dragonlance Draconian's art.

Definitely agreeing 100% with the last part of that sentence.

For what it's worth, Half-Elves I could have gone without. ;) The Eladrin/Elf split made a lot of sense to me, but I don't really need 3 elven races in the core rules. But I don't think I would have put in the Gnome or Half-Orc in it. I'd probably had added another Epic Destiny instead. ;)

Korgoth

First Post
Commit them then to the flames.

I don't think that D&D should have to be "pure Tolkien". I just think these guys are lame. Tieflings have some potential to be done as Men from Leng... but that makes them NPCs not PCs. And rather different from their current writeup.

But then, for some reason they decided to split woodsy elves from froo-froo woodsy elves. What's next... bourgeois elves? How about cookie elves? There should just be elves. Then you can say if yours is an aristo elf, a hippie elf, a morlock elf, or whatever.

Orius

Legend
Well, there's always been at least one specific type of fiend expressly designed to mate with mortals,

Dude, don't beat around the bush here, everyone knows she's called a

SUCCUBUS.

Anyway, I'm with the group that dislikes dragonboobs and prefers Planescape tieflings.

rounser

First Post
I like them both, just not in the core implied setting. Neither should be a default race, and both of them are.

If they had to be in the core, then aasimar and lizardfolk should be there for balance (to get a theme going of scalies and planars). Out of context, they make no sense. Or scrap dragonborn and give people proper dragons to play.

Last edited:

Tervin

First Post
Before the 4E announcement my strongest dislike in D&D was against how races were handled. They all felt bland and pointless, like humans from different cultures rather than distinct and different. People roleplayed stereotypes, because if you didn't do the stereotype there was no way to know which race your character was.

I started writing my own campaign world then, throwing out all the usual PH races as they didn't add anything to the game. Instead added in races that were shapeshifters, insectoids, undead and faeries.

Before I got very far with the new world, the new edition was announced. And what I loved the most from the early promises was how they said they wanted race to matter more. Not everything has turned out the way I had hoped. (Need lots more racial feats and paragon paths!) Still I can't really complain when the improvement is this huge. Tieflings and Dragonborn might not fit your old setting - but they are exotic and distinct from the other races. And by making the races more distinct from scratch, it becomes easier to make individuals out of them, rather than fall into racial stereotypes.

That is why I love Dragonborn and Tieflings. And the rest of the PH races after the overhaul, except the Half-Elves which still seem random and bland. Well I love Tieflings even more, because I found a way to use them in my campaign that makes me smile every time I think of them.

Oh and Eladrin is perhaps my favourite race these days. I don't think of them as elves though. I think of them as fey, the race that has been most clearly missing from every old version of D&D (with the possible exception of 1E Oriental Adventures Fey Folk :)).

Fenes

First Post
I like Tieflings - but I mean the Planescape ones, not the "all look the same, and have the same backstory" 4E ones.

I consider Dragonborn Lizardfolk, and I find them about as interesting and cool as those, i.e. not at all.

Commit them then to the flames.

I don't think that D&D should have to be "pure Tolkien". I just think these guys are lame. Tieflings have some potential to be done as Men from Leng... but that makes them NPCs not PCs. And rather different from their current writeup.

But then, for some reason they decided to split woodsy elves from froo-froo woodsy elves. What's next... bourgeois elves? How about cookie elves? There should just be elves. Then you can say if yours is an aristo elf, a hippie elf, a morlock elf, or whatever.

Not really on topic, but at least 3E started the trend with multiple Elf subraces including different statistics for each subrace. There was typically always the split between "woodsy elf" and "wizardy elf" (and it existed in the sub-races, too - Wood, Wild etc. elves for woodsy, High and Sun Elves for wizardy), and I am glad they finally "solved" this by splitting the race in two distinct, but related races.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads