D&D 5E Does anyone else find Nova-ing is not a problem in 5e?

S'mon

Legend
This is indeed close to the crux of the issue, and you say this as if it it a trivial thing to do or an afterthought. Or even desirable.

Well I've only just started doing it, but so far turning short rest powers into long rest powers x3 seems very easy & beneficial. I don't see any benefit in having different classes on different rest cycles. When
everyone is Long Rest, the PCs find a natural cadence to adventuring suited to threat level,
urgency etc. Maybe everyone being Short Rest would be better, but much harder to accomplish.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Well I've only just started doing it, but so far turning short rest powers into long rest powers x3 seems very easy & beneficial. I don't see any benefit in having different classes on different rest cycles. When
everyone is Long Rest, the PCs find a natural cadence to adventuring suited to threat level,
urgency etc. Maybe everyone being Short Rest would be better, but much harder to accomplish.

Low Fantasy Gaming rpg does something like this - all classes effectively have partial refresh on a 5 min short rest (a check is involved), and a 1d6 day long rest. So everyone's on the same refresh meter.

5e will have problems with the party dumping all their strong abilities and blitzing encounters any time they know a long rest is coming and likely no other threats (eg most wilderness treks with the occasional fight, also some city based adventures over a course of days). Changing long rests to 7 days and short rests kinda helps, but not really - it screws up the balance, making long rest classes comparatively weaker, and short rest classes can still nova dump/refresh as before, they just need to know a long rest is coming.

S'mon

Legend
5e will have problems with the party dumping all their strong abilities and blitzing encounters any time they know a long rest is coming...

I guess my point in this thread is that even when PCs do do this - nova - it doesn't seem to be a problem in 5e. It's still easy to challenge a 5e party that routinely novas. They don't even seem to get excessive XP from such 'beyond deadly' or 'spike' encounters.

I guess what I generally see is PCs typically use their resources on an assumption there may be ca 2-3 hard (actual hard, not 5e-hard) fights in a typical day. They generally hold something back just in case, but they certainly don't assume 6-8 fights, or seek out 6-8 fights if they can help it. Barbarians out of Rage is a hard line, like 4e PCs out of Healing Surges, that prompts immediate retreat, much like if casters have used all their higher level slots (say 3+ for a 12th level caster).

And I haven't really experienced any problems. The only problems I've seen have been with non-nova-capable, short rest dependent classes looking weak compared to the majority group, the LR classes. My groups still feel challenged, the game seems to work fine.

I find the apparent assumption of 6-8 easy (actual-easy) fights/day is not necessary for 5e to work. It seems to work fine with typically 1-3 fights between long rests, and PCs using their resources on that basis.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Maybe everyone being Short Rest would be better, but much harder to accomplish.
Everyone being at-will or encounter-based would probably be even better, than all Short-Rest. It's not hard at all, in fact, it's a much easier design challenge if you're starting from scratch. But, with D&D's traditional heavy emphasis on long-rest/daily resources so thoroughly reflected in 5e, particularly in the spells - that every class uses to some extent - designed to be used primarily as daily resources, converting it to anything else would be much harder than converting it to all-daily (really, all daily & at-will).

CapnZapp

Legend
Whereas in 3e/PF it created what felt like a degenerate scry-buff-teleport-fry type play style.
It's important to keep in mind that whatever niggles we might have with 5E, the edition is vastly superior to d20. Your mention is one important reason why (but not the only one).

CapnZapp

Legend
Yes, the Paladin is probably the most OP class.

Luckily, my players tend to shy away of the class, since it's hard to combine with their regular murderhoboing instincts :)

Remove ads