• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Does anyone else think that 1D&D will create a significant divide in the community?

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
I can only speak for myself and not any kind of broader trends, but at this point I'm feeling ready for something else. I was looking forward to what they would be putting out for 1D&D, but it's not changing up enough of what I want them to do, particularly as a DM.

Grabbed Kevin Crawford's Without Number books and plan to use them for a few years and maybe still peek at what DnD is doing over the same time period.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
If by "significant" you mean "noticeable," then yes, I agree. It will be a noticeable split, and it will take some getting used to. A lot of us will have to get accustomed to adapting newer material to the older books, and vice-versa. I won't be buying new books and new electronic libraries on Roll20, for example, so I'll have to decide how much of the newer material I'm willing to convert and use.

But if by "significant" you mean "a repeat of the 3rd/4th Edition split," then no, I do not agree. Wizards of the Coast is already doing a much better job with the roll-out than they did back in 2008, just in their marketing alone.

Last edited:

The question is:

Is sticking to a system that shows signs of wear and is in need of some updates driving away more or less people. And which is able to generate more new players.
As already mentioned: some people are already looking for alternatives, some people really want classes to be better balanced and so on.

My guess: some people like the changes, some people hate them.
New gamers probably would be more happy with the overhauled game.

I for my part never played 1st edition. I have looked a bit into the rules however and think the 2e rules are better.

Last edited:

It will definitely cause a big community rift.

• A chunk will stay was 5e as they like it and it's perfect for them.
  • A chunk (probably most) will jump across to the newer version with time. Lots initially, and then gradually more as 5e stops being supported.
  • Another bunch will go to pathfinder, other RPGs, or just stop playing. As they realise that 5e will never develop into what they want and the new edition certainly isn't that either.

Unlikely, but I do think that 5.5e/6e release or shortly afterwards could be a good time for a new competitor to try to jump onto the scene. Pathfinder 2e is still quite new while also has a lot of 3.5e rules holdovers. It's proved a bit too complex and messy to cut into the DnD market. And pathfinder 3e is probably 10 years or more away, so that won't be impacting things at all. A new system on a similar theme to DnD/Pathfinder, with the easy to grasp rules of 5e but impactful character options of pathfinder could take advantage of the newly formed community rift and lots of disillusioned players drifting around at that time.

It will definitely cause a big community rift.

• A chunk will stay was 5e as they like it and it's perfect for them.
  • A chunk (probably most) will jump across to the newer version with time. Lots initially, and then gradually more as 5e stops being supported.
  • Another bunch will go to pathfinder, other RPGs, or just stop playing. As they realise that 5e will never develop into what they want and the new edition certainly isn't that either.

Unlikely, but I do think that 5.5e/6e release or shortly afterwards could be a good time for a new competitor to try to jump onto the scene. Pathfinder 2e is still quite new while also has a lot of 3.5e rules holdovers. It's proved a bit too complex and messy to cut into the DnD market. And pathfinder 3e is probably 10 years or more away, so that won't be impacting things at all. A new system on a similar theme to DnD/Pathfinder, with the easy to grasp rules of 5e but impactful character options of pathfinder could take advantage of the newly formed community rift and lots of disillusioned players drifting around at that time.
That system could already be here thanks to En Publishing's Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition. Like One D&D, it has moved the ASIs that normally would have gone to a particular race/heritage, and placed them into the various backgrounds. And each heritage in A5e has something of a 1st-level feat (their Gifts). Then there is A5e's Marshall class which could be the equivalent of the Warlord class that some of the 5e fans on this forum have mentioned in a couple of past forum threads.

A5e could be the alternative for those 5e players who have wanted more crunch in 5e.

Will A5e cause a divide in 5e D&D community? It's hard to say.

Pathfinder 2e is still quite new while also has a lot of 3.5e rules holdovers. It's proved a bit too complex and messy to cut into the DnD market.
?? As near as I can tell, PF2 and Call of Cthulhu are the two biggest games after D&D 5e. In terms of amazon sale rankings, in terms of games at conventions or availabilty on digital platforms, in terms of other media like video games. Pathfinder is proving to be quite popular on its own.

Yora

Legend
What's significant?

60/40? 80/20? 90/10?

Also, what is "the community". Just groups that currently run 5th edition or all groups that play class-and-level type fantasy RPGs? Or just RPGs in general?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads