• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

does anyone out there use the kingdoms of Kalamar setting?

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Mark Plemmons said:
HIGHLIGHTS

1. A logical, realistic topography. Deserts, mountains, rivers, lakes and forest are all where they belong.
2. A setting driven by the actions of ordinary men. Thus even a low-level PC can have a profound effect on the world and shape the history with his actions.

4. The political entities have a similarly detailed background history. Each governmental body is fully described with their history of war and peace. Thus it is easy to work large military and political conflicts into your campaign.

These are some of the things which drew me to Columbia Games Hârn. I've heard mixed reports about Kalamar from fellow Hârn fans, though it is regarded as one of the 'better' DnD game worlds for the reasons given above. It certainly sounds interesting enough and certainly not a Greyhawk clone despite what others have said. At least from the little I've seem the geography seems right. The maps are OK but not, in my opinion, as good as this:

http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/zoom.cfg?product_id=5000-E8

GOM

dead

Explorer
I was hunting around for a fantasy D&D campaign setting for my friend. He's a first time DM and I was considering Kalamar for him.

I have a question, though. Does the campaign setting show a map of the ENTIRE globe? It doesn't have to be a detailed map, just enough to see the continents (like in the FR and Greyhawk setting books).

Also, what level is the most powerful wizard on the planet and can he kick Elminster's and Mordenkainen's butt? :D

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
dead said:
I was hunting around for a fantasy D&D campaign setting for my friend. He's a first time DM and I was considering Kalamar for him.

I have a question, though. Does the campaign setting show a map of the ENTIRE globe? It doesn't have to be a detailed map, just enough to see the continents (like in the FR and Greyhawk setting books).

Also, what level is the most powerful wizard on the planet and can he kick Elminster's and Mordenkainen's butt? :D

Can't answer for Kalamar. HârnWorld has a complete world map, plus info on languages, trade routes even tectonics and areas of vulcanism. Unlike the gameworlds you mention (but like AFAIK Kalamar) the geography is generally fairly sensible.

But you'll have to decide who is the most powerful wizard on the planet as this sort of information is deliberately vague.

GOM

Psion

Adventurer
teitan said:
This is untrue... FR and Greyhawk maintain the same levels of magic as both are straight out of the core rulebook. You aren't likely to find anymore magic items in FR than you are Greyhawk and the same goes for Kalamar. The difference is that FR has higher level NPCs etc which gives the impression that it is a higher level of magical world...

FR is definitely higher maguc out of the box, just as a factor of what it included in the setting. FR has portals everywhere (if FR writers and fans are to be beleived, more than in Planescape!), major cities have magic sewage handling, and the like. This are things you won't see in Greyhawk.

Last edited:

PugioilAudacio

First Post
I like Kalamar. It handles clerics and dieties particularly well. I think it would be a perfect setting for a low magic world. While it is not natively that, it is a little more "realistic" than FR or Greyhawk. I have the Kalamar PHB, CS, and most of the adventures (which can be run stand-alone pretty easily).

buzzard

First Post
dead said:

The highest level arcane casters listed in the campaign books are Hulrad Redbark from Cosdol of 19th level and Shifan, a 20th level Necromancer from Bet Kalamar.

So to answer you last question, no, either would be meat for the big E or Mordenkainen.

buzzard

Thumper3333

First Post
Mystery Man said:
However I would like to see a Kalamar thread move along nicely without people being rude or the inevitable Kalamar/FR comparison. Just one freaking time.

LMAO

Yeah, and I'd like to see a "Is this an evil act" thread move along without degenerating into a political debate. ;)

Thumper3333

First Post
buzzard said:
The highest level arcane casters listed in the campaign books are Hulrad Redbark from Cosdol of 19th level and Shifan, a 20th level Necromancer from Bet Kalamar.

So to answer you last question, no, either would be meat for the big E or Mordenkainen.

buzzard

Or Blackstaff , or the Elven High Mages, Szass Tam (Nec10/Red10/Acm2/Epic7)from Thay, Halaster Blackcloak (Wiz20/Acm5/Epic5), ect...... :)

MerakSpielman

First Post
dead said:
He should do fine as long as he sticks to a small region. The place is pretty complex, and if you try to allow access to the whole world up front the PCs will keep wandering into places the DM doesn't really remember off the top of his head.

No it does not. There are vague rumors of lands across the sea but that's it. It's either a blank slate for the DM to do whatever he wants (positive) or a lack of completeness (negative). Take your pick.

Elminster could take on every mage listed in the Campain Setting, all at once, single handed. Whether this is a pro or a con is up to you ;).

Sayburr

First Post
dead said:

It does not have a map of the entire globe. But it does include two maps (one of the Eastern half and one of the Western half) on the "known world". Known world being the areas described in the setting guide.

Then, there is the atlas with all of your detail. 25 miles to the inch detail. The Atlas takes the known world map above and zooms in. It is a very nice book for someone running a Kalamar campaign.

The rest of the world has been left vague so the DM has options and is not constrained by KenzerCo as to what might be out there.

teitan said:
This is untrue... FR and Greyhawk maintain the same levels of magic as both are straight out of the core rulebook. You aren't likely to find anymore magic items in FR than you are Greyhawk and the same goes for Kalamar. The difference is that FR has higher level NPCs etc which gives the impression that it is a higher level of magical world...

Kalamar seems like a lower magic world because it is written like one. There are no magic portals. Geanavue, a city supplement, has only two magic shops and IIRC they are both potion shops. The streets are not lit by continual light spells. When David Kenzer was asked about this he said the world was designed with low magic in mind because it would be easier for a DM to increase the magic level if they wanted a campain to be high magic, but if a DM wanted a low magic world it would be difficult to remove elements if the world was created as a high magic setting.

Remove ads