• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does anyone who got an mm at Gencon want to offer up spoilers to us?

Asatru009

Explorer
Do any undead have a variant? Skeleton/Bloody Skeleton/Burning Skeleton in Pathfinder for example. If so what are they called?

Thanks in advance.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Do any undead have a variant? Skeleton/Bloody Skeleton/Burning Skeleton in Pathfinder for example. If so what are they called?

Thanks in advance.

Skeleton: no
Vampire has variants: warriors and spellcasters.
Zombie has: zombie, ogre zombie, and beholder zombie, but those aren't really variants, I guess.
Wraith: no.
Wight: no.
Shadow: nos.
Crawling Claw: there is a living claw option, which is sweet (an animated hand of a living person, who is unaware of his evil hand)

That's about what I've seen.

Thaumaturge: pushover DM, this variant is only used when he DMs his own spawn, all currently under the age of 6.

gandalfwg

First Post
Are there any other variants to the Beholder other than the Spectator? I would love to know the CRs they cover as well as the CR for the Beholder itself. Thanks!

Thaumaturge

Are there any other variants to the Beholder other than the Spectator? I would love to know the CRs they cover as well as the CR for the Beholder itself. Thanks!

• Beholder, CR 13/14
  • Death Tyrant, CR 14/15
  • Spectator, CR 3
  • Beholder Zombie, CR 5

Second CRs are for beholders encountered in their lairs. Technically, you could also make half-dragon or vampire beholders. The CR on those would be...something else. Probably.

Thaumaturge.

Barcellos

First Post
Hi, there are no rules for pcs who whants to be a Lich like 3.x edition ?
Like 11 Level Caster, Craft Woundrous Item and this kind of stuff ? Thanks

gyor

Legend
What kind of abilities do coutls and Unicorns have have?

And doesn't half dragon require that the creature you apply it to be Giant, Humaniod, Beast, or Monsterisity? As in Beholders which are likely to be aberrantions don't qualify?

What does ahadow dragon offer to a dragon? Can it be applied to any type of dragon, say dragon turtle, or just true dragons?

Thaumaturge

Hi, there are no rules for pcs who whants to be a Lich like 3.x edition ?
Like 11 Level Caster, Craft Woundrous Item and this kind of stuff ? Thanks

No specific rules, no. Lots of "arcane rituals" and "sacrificing". That sort of thing. I figure they're pretty comfortable with a DM working out how best to fit a PC becoming a lich into his own campaign.

For mine the rules would be: get to 9th level spells, tell me you want to do it, roleplay a bunch, kill the party, now you're a lich.

I might reverse those last two.

Thaumaturge.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Thaumaturge: pushover DM, this variant is only used when he DMs his own spawn, all currently under the age of 6.

C'mon man. What does this teach them? You need to be harder on them. "And that, son, is why you can't go skipping through dark dungeons singing 'Frosty the Snowman' as loud as you can. The ogres don't like it. And will eat you." :)

Thaumaturge

C'mon man. What does this teach them? You need to be harder on them. "And that, son, is why you can't go skipping through dark dungeons singing 'Frosty the Snowman' as loud as you can. The ogres don't like it. And will eat you." :)

Wait. I that that was pushover mode.

In standard mode, I don't explain where they went wrong. And the ogre probably plays with his food.

Thaumaturge.

gandalfwg

First Post
  • Beholder, CR 13/14
  • Death Tyrant, CR 14/15
  • Spectator, CR 3
  • Beholder Zombie, CR 5

Second CRs are for beholders encountered in their lairs. Technically, you could also make half-dragon or vampire beholders. The CR on those would be...something else. Probably.

Thaumaturge.

Very cool, and I've never even thought about vampire beholders... that might be fun!

I was also wondering about Mind Flayers: are there several entries and what CR range are they? I'm in the middle of trying to get a pseudo-Underdark adventure thought out and trying to get a feel for the CR of all the nasties I want to include. :D

Remove ads