• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does AU mix well will Core 3.5 Ed?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Driddle said:
You can't do that.

I KNEW you were going to post that in this thread before the day was out! ;) Look, Driddle, it's actually pretty funny, but these folks don't know it's funny. Instead they seek clarification because they think there is some actual rules-based substance to your objection instead of understanding that it is a joking, semi-troll.

I was egging you on in the other AU thread, but I'm not going to do it here. That's because I'm not a one-trick-pony. Let's see if we can say the same of you when it's all over.

JoeGKushner

First Post
One of the things I liked about AU is that it covered some pretty important fields that Rolemaster did and Monte took that with him.

The Mage Blade and the Unfettered, the fighter-mage and the fighter-rogue. Both work out farily well if you stick with the AU rules. If you start letting the Mage Blade have access to standard spells, he can get pretty powerful right away.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
JoeGKushner said:
One of the things I liked about AU is that it covered some pretty important fields that Rolemaster did and Monte took that with him.

Hey, Joe. A quick question: I note that you're a Rolemaster fan and you're selling off a copy of HARP. Did you just have an extra or did you not like it? I wrote a book or two for ICE back in the day and I was thinking about picking up HARP but I'm wondering what you thought of it.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I picked up AU shortly after it came out and started a new campaign shortly after. I use all of the D&D and AU classes together and have had very few problems. The only thing that I do is keep the spell lists seperate. Magisters can't take D&D spells and vice versa. Beyond that I haven't had any problems.

Kane

Driddle

First Post
Rel said:
I KNEW you were going to post that in this thread before the day was out! Look, Driddle, it's actually pretty funny, but these folks don't know it's funny. Instead they seek clarification ...

Look at the progress of this thread, though. Yours is the first post immediately after mine, and the only to respond directly to me. Perhaps you're not giving your board-peers enough credit. :\ Seems like they're handling me fine without help.

I'm good with that.

Right, my experience seems to be pretty different from what everyone else seems to have had.

From my running an AU party through DnD adventures it seems to me that AU parties are slightly underpowered compared to normal DnD. I'd be happy to explain why I think that happened later or in a different session, but it's unnecessary here. In the end, it seemed to me a wash, however, as AU characters get advantages that smart players can use to even the score.

The high spellcaster classes seem to me to actually be better balanced against their DnD counterparts as the spell list for AU, while flexible, is weaker.

Even the Magister has to work a little bit to catch up to the Wizard and Sorceror's ability to use 'exotic' spells without penalty or limitation.

I do have to agree with everyone else, however, that you should have AU characters only use spells, feats, and so forth that have been run through the AU books or that you have used the conversion rules to adjust.

In terms of crossovers, works very well with most classes, and some of the classes are an amazingly welcome addition to DnD.

I, honestly, have no idea how I or anyone in my party lived, without access to at least the first three levels of Akashic.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Rel said:
Hey, Joe. A quick question: I note that you're a Rolemaster fan and you're selling off a copy of HARP. Did you just have an extra or did you not like it? I wrote a book or two for ICE back in the day and I was thinking about picking up HARP but I'm wondering what you thought of it.

I like it so much I'm going to pick up the limited edition printing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads