• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does bardic music Inspire Courage affect animals?

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
This situation came up during my last campaign. Party bard was fond of using Inspire Courage, and another character was as ranger with an eagle animal companion. Question at the time was if the Inspire Courage applied to the eagle, as the eagle was an animal. My ruling at the table was "yes", as it seemed reasonable. Now I'm trying to figure out what the rules say should happen in this situation. Here's what I've come up with:

Bardic music (from the SRD): "Once per day per bard level, a bard can use his song or poetics to produce magical effects on those around him (usually including himself, if desired). While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments, they can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies, whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some spoken performance."

Inspire Courage (from the SRD): "To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the bard sing."

Animal Subtype (from the SRD): "An animal is a living, nonhuman creature, usually a vertebrate with no magical abilities and no innate capacity for language or culture."

My take on it is this - an animal has no capacity for language or culture, but to be affected by Inspire Courage the animal doesn't need to understand the bard, just be able to hear him. Indeed, a bard can inspire courage simply by whistling or chanting, two activities which have no understandable speech, just rhythmic sounds.

Conclusion: animal companions ARE affected by inspire courage. Which would lead me to think that allied summoned monsters would also be affected. Thoughts on this? Is my rules-logic sound (pun intended ;)), or am I missing something?

Wasteland Knight said:
Conclusion: animal companions ARE affected by inspire courage. Which would lead me to think that allied summoned monsters would also be affected. Thoughts on this? Is my rules-logic sound (pun intended ;)), or am I missing something?

Agreed! Moreover, a rather stupid orc who speaks only Orc can be inspired by a Human bard proclaiming in Common.

DonTadow

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Agreed! Moreover, a rather stupid orc who speaks only Orc can be inspired by a Human bard proclaiming in Common.
You don't have to understand the words to be inspired by music. I"m a bit of an opera fan and They don't make english operas.

American bands are also popular in many parts of the world even if there words are not translated.

irdeggman

First Post
Or an example from our camapaign - the dwarven bard chanting a dwarven fight song. Well most members couldn't understand the language but the song itself was inspiring (i.e., melody or rhythym).

Lord Pendragon

First Post
the Jester said:
If the ability is not [Language-Dependent], then you are fine.
Exactly.

It's also important to note that Bardic Music is a magical ability. It isn't the song itself that is providing the bonus, but the magic of the bard. The bard could be singing a song that actually depresses the party cleric (perhaps it was playing in the tavern when his girl left him for a peddler,) and the cleric would still get a morale bonus. It's not the song, it's the magic.

Edit to add:

I've always described magic in my D&D games as pattern-magic. The wizard invokes the magic by creating patterns in the air, and patterns in syllables. The bard simply creates his audible patterns in a different way.

Remove ads