• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does bull's Str stack with Belt of Str?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression you'd get the spell slots--so that a Cleric could use them for cure spells for example--and that you could also spend the 15 minutes to prepare spells in the slots.

Edit: Well, the spell says you don't get bonus spells, so it's moot.

Last edited:

Taloras

First Post
I see it as you have to REST with the increased wisdom, hence an item with a plus to wisdom would grant it, but unless you had it the entire time you were resting.....

apesamongus

First Post
Scion said:
Of course this means that you are walking around normally with a bunch of items which dont stack all in hopes of useing this infusion (level 4) in order to make them work for a period of time. There is a pretty limited amount of choices also ;)

It definately has some interesting ramifications however, I havent seen it in play just yet.
It's just that it allows you to put all your eggs in one basket, and depth really breaks things much more than bredth will.
For instance, with 4 spells

Bow +5
50 normal arrows
1 artificer
1 cleric

Item Alteration Bow(Enhancement) -> Bow(Luck)
GMW Bow
GMW Arrows
Item Alteration Bow(Enhancement) -> Bow(Circumstance)

That's a +15 magic bonus to hit for 10min/level

Give that guy 2 +hide items and he can snipe anyone with almost no risk.

Give an invisible blade 2 +bluff items and you have every attack a sneak.

Incantrix 2 +spellcraft items that stack = nasty.

And many items are usable by multiple party members, so they aren't wasted. If you have a bard and a sorcerer, it's not too much to ask for a loan of an item to give the sorcerer a +3 DC for a really important spell. Or a +2 if you don't bother with an extra item and just use Eagle's Spendor. +2 DC on everything for the cost of a 4th infusion and a 2nd spell isn't that bad a deal.

apesamongus

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression you'd get the spell slots--so that a Cleric could use them for cure spells for example--and that you could also spend the 15 minutes to prepare spells in the slots.
The cleric can only lose prepared spells - not empty slots - for spontaneous casting. That also comes into effect when spells were cast too late the day before. Also, a cleric only prepares spells once per day, so they can't do the same 15 minute thing a wizard can do.

Jdvn1

Palskane said:
That's a good question. I've always let the Periapt give the bonus spells, simply because it doesn't say that you don't get them. The spell specifically states that you don't. *shrugs* I'd be interested in hearing how other DM's rule on that.
I've never heard of not allowing the spells, myself.

Scion

First Post
sounds like a lot of resources and time and a very specific party make up and several other assumptions (people willing to give others items so that they may do X while the original character cant even do Y anymore).

The end result sounds pretty impressive, but the cost is also very impressive.

Also, for the last bit, a 4th level infusion and a 2nd level spell for a small boost to something for a few minutes? I dont see that as being all that impressive really. A good tactical option certainly, but uber?

Jdvn1

apesamongus said:
The cleric can only lose prepared spells - not empty slots - for spontaneous casting. That also comes into effect when spells were cast too late the day before. Also, a cleric only prepares spells once per day, so they can't do the same 15 minute thing a wizard can do.
Well, a Cleric doesn't have to prepare spells once per day, there's no text mandating it. The closest they get to it is saying "usually."

apesamongus

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Well, a Cleric doesn't have to prepare spells once per day, there's no text mandating it. The closest they get to it is saying "usually."
"Each cleric must choose a time at which he must spend 1 hour each day in quiet contemplation or supplication to regain his daily allotment of spells." - SRD

Darth Malakh

First Post
In the game I'm DMing I allow ability-enhancing items that
a) effectively increase your casting abilities and
b) have different types of bonusses e.g. morale, competence or even luck
Just present me with a spell that grants an according ability bonus and I'll let you use it to create a "variant" ability buff item (within reason, so nothing racial or stuff like that here).
for example: you're an item creator and you just want that lil extra strenght while already wearing a belt of giant strenght (+4).
if you've got "elation" (from BoED) on your list, I'll let you make an item that grants you a morale bonus to STR (because that is what "elation" does).
Slot restrictions still apply, though, so unless you go for a second torso you'll have a tough time wearing a belt of moralistic strength (+4) in addition to the regular one. of, course, you can have a slotless item but that IS gonna cost you some.
main effect is, these items stack with the PHB buffs. not much of a big deal, because my NPCs can pack that stuff, too.
standart item creators in my campaign don't do the trick on a regular basis, though, so these items a sold at 150% of the base item, if they're available at all.

Mal-"h"-a-"vo"-kh

...and if any of you suggests I take less of that stuff you think I'm zoning out from then please be asured that I'm actually not doing so...

apesamongus

First Post
Scion said:
Also, for the last bit, a 4th level infusion and a 2nd level spell for a small boost to something for a few minutes? I dont see that as being all that impressive really. A good tactical option certainly, but uber?
It's only uber in that virtually nothing else increases DC. I mean look at the cost of a cooperative spell (a complete simultaneous action from another spellcaster and a slot of the same level - and that only powers up one spell and you both need a feat.) An extra boost to a skill or AC isn't that impressive, because those are pretty easy to get. DC, on the other hand, is rare. If I'm not mistaken, there is a 4th level spell somewhere that gives a DC boost on a single spell, so that's a decent comparison for power.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads