• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does damage awaken a sleep spell victim?

DracoSuave

First Post
The tarrasque burrows 2 squares and fails to get its space below the floor (it is slowed)!

This is still beside the point ... a control wizard really should open with prismatic spray or legion's hold or something that has an instantaneous stun ... I'm just saying sleeping a solo of your level isn't <20%
In a well-oiled party, it should be quite reliable (at that level).
At lower levels, due to lower wis, you're actually less of a threat.

At the same time, a level 20 solo shouldn't be a major problem for a level 20 party. Now.... try these shinanegans against Orcus and see how that works out.

Danceofmasks

First Post
*shrug*
Sorry for vagueness ... I don't really pay attention to those threads.
Figuring out how to kill the biggest baddie in 1 turn isn't my idea of charop ...
I prefer the idea of "being MVP from level 1 through 30 by consistently providing the biggest slice of contribution."

DracoSuave

First Post
*shrug*
Sorry for vagueness ... I don't really pay attention to those threads.
Figuring out how to kill the biggest baddie in 1 turn isn't my idea of charop ...
I prefer the idea of "being MVP from level 1 through 30 by consistently providing the biggest slice of contribution."

Yeah. They really should have made an Epic Destiny that had the story where you're sub-par for the entire level 21-30 arc... but you get to get that one explosive money-shot of glory that lets you absolutely murder something -once-, through some stupid deus ex-mechina... and then you never do anything awesome again, and completely fail to be relevant any more.

This would be the Epic Destiny of all characters who go for level 30 builds in a game designed to retire you at level 30.

I dunno what they'd call it, but Palin Majere had it.

Tasslehoff didn't tho, he was too legendary and did awesome stuff -after- his death.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I thought the Orb wizard could apply his wis bonus as a penalty to either the slow effect or the unconsciousness effect, but not both effects, when it comes to the sleep spell.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Yup .. but a whole round of coup de grace is all you need vs. just about anything. Big boss eat max dailies.
It's ugly in combo with a trickster in party ... calls for auto fail on slow effect, then wizard applies orb penalty on unconscious.

Victoly

First Post
Chance of missing, negligible, 5%. Chances of it failing its saving throw against the initial slow effect... 20%. 20% X 95% = 19% chance of getting the sleep effect to occur.

And it -does- get that round in during which it can possibly eat you.

Sleep isn't so bad once you realize that if you hit the monster, there's still just a 50/50 chance it'll be slept, and it gets that round in of NUKE THE HELL OUT OF THAT SANDMAN.

Cause the monster -knows- what's hit it. That's part of the new rules.
DracoSuave, your math doesn't account for the Wizard's Orb mastery.
The chance to hit would be 95%.
The chance to fail the save would be 70%, due to the -10 (or so) from Orb mastery.
Overall you're looking at about a 2/3 chance of having this work, which is far better than the 19% you forecast.
I still think it's not a particularly fun or effective way to build a wizard in the long-run, but let's not misrepresent its chances.

Remove ads