• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Dread allow for recurring characters?

00Machado

First Post
Does this horror RPG allow for recurring characters, like Chill, X-Files, Dark Matter, etc?

Also, does it allow for character advancement if you can continue playing a character over time?

I'm wondering if essentially every session has a tower fall and someone (or multiple characters) getting whacked.

I like the idea of an investigative horror game where the mechanics contribute to the tension, but I also need a system that lets characters go from session to session.

How about the tower pull mechanic? It sounds pretty portable to other systems. Is that right?

Thanks.

Crothian

First Post
Yes it does. Characters are based on a questionnaire so if you are playing a character that you've already played one of the questions might be:

How have the events of whatever changed you?

It's fairly simple and elogant way to do it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Yup. I've played Dread about 8 times now, and there are games where the tower wouldn't have fallen if someone hadn't chosen to knock it down (in order to succeed at something important and take one for the team.) Your character's history defines what they can do, so the questionnaire can easily reflect your past actions and give you improvement in your abilities.

Remove ads