• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Dungeons and Dragons need supported settings?

Khairn

First Post
That's great to hear from WotC, but IMO the key qualifier of his answer is "Its just a question of when." In time for Gen Con 2011? Doubtful but possible. 2012? Probably more in the ballpark.

bagger245

Explorer
Its interesting to note that a lot of 4E players and GM's say they still buy Paizo AP's and Golarion setting material even though they have to convert it. While on the flip-side I haven't seen anyone say that they play Pathfinder 3E or any other system, and buy or convert any of WotC's 4E setting material (book or DDI adventures etc). I know that many players will already have the 3E (or earlier) books for FR, Eberron or DS. But unlike Paizo, none of WotC's new adventures or settings looks to be generating any real buzz or excitement with gamers outside those that use their system.

Does any AD&D player even use the new fluff? Say a 2e player who is running Dark Sun. Will they buy the 4e Dark Sun book for new material?

It seems to me that WotC does support a setting, quite extensively, in almost every D&D product they publish. It just doesn't have an official name or map.

Yup, with Underdark book being the best so far.

For those that say they are happy with the current campaign setting model, try not using any of your old TSR books or memorising any info from them, and just 100% rely on the 4e campaign guide and DDI articles. See how it turns out. I bet they will be more like Poland than the distinct feel of FR, Eberron etc..

JeffB

Legend
A serious question. If you're not actually buying the books... how is their direction actually great?

Because I believe the functionality of products they are making is far better/more useful to me than in the previous edition(s) . They are making products I WANT to buy,I just don't feel the need to buy ALL of them. For example- I feel like the MotP offers just enough info for my tastes- and thus I don't need the books that delve deeper into specific planes. However those books (or at least the Plane below) are well done w/ fluff & crunch I could get some use out of -I would not mind having them.

I will likely own all the MMs and the DMGs that come down the pike- PHB1&2 cover just about all I could forsee needing- so likely PHB3 and further will be out unless a player wants it. If they make mor eproducts like Open Grave- those will be instant buys. AV2 and the FRPG as well as the Eberron books are examples of books I want to buy, but don't feel I need to.

I'm more choosy with my spending, but that doesn't mean I dislike the products or the direction. I think the new Basic Set & essentials are also a great direction to head into.

bagger245

Explorer
You are right about the direction and we can choose what to buy or not. But we are talking in terms of campaign setting support and the concern that FR, Eberron etc will not be preserved and decline in popularity. We all know Poland is a more popular than FR now in 4e. If not for Living Forgotten Realms, will the setting eventually be a niche setting? For fantasy rpgs in general, Warhammer Old World and Golarion is the top setting currently. If Green Ronin plays its cards right, you could add Thedas to it. Not sure about Glorantha though.

Renshai

First Post
As I have little time to prepare for games, to draw maps and figure out travel distances and things of that nature, I require support for the campaign setting that I am going to choose. I need there to be at least one part of the world that the campaign settings focus on. they need roads, villages and NPCs I can use at a moment's notice. Not vague overviews with maps that provide only zoomed out look at an area. You can give support to a system in this manner without over developing it.

WotC appears to be doing that with the book Hammerfast. Why couldn't there be a similar book for Waterdeep, or the Dalelands, or an area in Eberron? Giving a team beleaguered DM a rich setting to draw on would only help keep DM's in the fold and playing the game.

Me, I left because I don't have time to draw and make maps and detail these places anymore..

bagger245

Explorer
Because (by WotC standards) not enough people would buy it.

They could make it somehow easier to fit in any campaign. Want a huge city in your Poland? Use Waterdeep. But then again, should just make a Poland city to begin with, just like how they are making Hammerfast instead of Mithril Hall. The more I think about it, the more I feel the 4e campaign settings are subsets of Poland setting.

Remove ads