• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does energy resistance stack?

jRocket

First Post
I have fire resistance:5 from two different sources - One is racial, the other is from the elemental savant prestige class. Do they stack to give me fire resistance: 10?

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
jRocket said:
I have fire resistance:5 from two different sources - One is racial, the other is from the elemental savant prestige class. Do they stack to give me fire resistance: 10?

Since stacking natural or template-based energy resistance is not specifically addressed and it is not expressly forbidden by the Elemental Savant, I would say IMHO it stacks. It is not a "bonus" per se, so even if it's the same type it still would stack.

Precedents:

SRD35 said:
DROMITE
This natural energy resistance stacks with any future energy resistance gained through other effects.

SRD35 said:
Energy Resistance

Benefit: Choose a type of energy (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic). The character gains resistance 10 to that type of energy, or the character's existing resistance to that type of energy increases by 10. This feat does not stack with energy resistance granted by magic items or nonpermanent magical effects.

Special: A character can gain this feat multiple times. If the same type of energy is chosen, the effects stack.

Andargor

Last edited:

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
But DR stacks if it's the same type. What's energy resistance but DR for one type of energy? Think of "Energy Resistance Fire 5" as "DR 5 / anything but fire".

If you have "DR 5 / Anything but fire" from two sources, it would stack.

I would let it stack.

-Tatsu

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Tatsukun said:
But DR stacks if it's the same type. What's energy resistance but DR for one type of energy? Think of "Energy Resistance Fire 5" as "DR 5 / anything but fire".

DR doesn't stack, even if it's of the same type, unless it specifically says so. Most DR X/-- come with a stacking tag, but that doesn't mean they stack by default... in fact, the opposite is true.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Taloras said:
Unless they specifically say they stack, they do not.

We could have that debate all day, me saying that if it [energy resistance stacking] isn't forbidden then they stack, and you the opposite. :)

Of course, a clear quote from the books or FAQ would resolve that, but I couldn't find anything definitive.

EDIT: DR and energy resistance are two different things, I wouldn't compare them.

Andargor

Last edited:

Liquidsabre

Explorer
jRocket said:

Being a permanent effect, according to what is written, it looks like the resistance would stack.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
From Andargo's quotes I'd think that they stack. Certainly this one

This feat does not stack with energy resistance granted by magic items or nonpermanent magical effects.

strongly suggests that the feat in question could stack with permanent magical effects.

It is an interesting question. What is the most abusive possible result if you allowed racial and class resistance to stack I wonder?

Kyrail

First Post
Tatsukun said:

If you have "DR 5 / Anything but fire" from two sources, it would stack.

I would let it stack.

-Tatsu

Yes, but it's still just DR 5. You can have DR 5/Magic and DR 5/adamantium but a mundane iron short sword will still only have 5 damage reduced.
An Adamantium Short Sword would be reduced 5, and Magic Short Sword would be reduced 5, it would take a magic Adamantium short sword to get through normally. I'm almost positive that's how it goes.
This is one of the most confusing rules IMO.

Last edited:

Remove ads