• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does getting treasure equal fun?

Does gaining treasure mean fun for you

• Yes, I need to gain treasure to have fun

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Mostly, I want treasure but occasionally I can go without gaining some

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Sometimes - I don't need treasure for fun but it relaly helps

Votes: 107 51.4%
  • Rarely - I can have fun without treasure, but I like it occasional

Votes: 46 22.1%
  • No - I can have fun with D&D gaining no treasure

Votes: 19 9.1%

coyote6

Adventurer
It depends on the game & the campaign. If it's a generic random-adventurers D&D game, then treasure is part of the fun. If the PCs are samurai serving some lord, then getting loot wouldn't be that much of the fun (though if it's a regular D&D game, getting more/better magic items would still be very nice).

If it's a regular four-color superhero M&M game, treasure is irrelevant.

shilsen

Adventurer
Emirikol said:
Liars... I've been playing too long to believe any other answer then a yes answer out of anyone.

;)
jh
I've in all likelihood played a lot less than you, but I've figured out in that time that everyone doesn't game the same way.

For me, the answer is the same as Piratecat's.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
ThirdWizard said:
Getting treasure can't make a game fun. If all you do is show up to the session and the DM hands out piles of treasure then you go home, I wouldn't consider that a fun game. But, that's not saying a whole lot. The flip side is that an (unmodified) D&D game that doesn't have much treasure will probably be less fun than a game that gives out a decent amount of treasure, simply because the game system is built around a certain amount of power coming from one's gear.

I love it when someone writes what I want to say. Saves me the effort of typing it myself. :)

No treasure games certainly don't equate to no fun. Just a different kind...

Thomas Percy

First Post
Sometimes - I don't need treasure for fun but it relaly helps.

Another topic is a distribution of them, eg. in the group I'm a player, one of us have sword+10, armor+10, bracers of Str+6, and the rest found none until 10 sessions. And when he finds amulet+5 and we find non again, I'm not happy with treasures at all,
because best fighter of our team is his items kit.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
I am a techno-geek so therefore toys = fun in my book. I can do without the loot but cool loot helps.

However it does depend on the toy to determine how much fun. Five heavily magical Large Great-Axes doesn't help a halfling wizard that much. Sure, you can sell them but that isn't nearly as much fun as when you find It (whatever It happens to be. Awsome Sword, Powerful Spell or Evil Clown), pick It up and then proceed to puree the badguys with It.

atomn

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
However, as a player, I always loved finding a magic item or two and trying to figure out what it did. As a DM I like seeing my players do the same.

I'm right there with you! That's why I love treasure (in the form of magic items). My 2nd ed. gaming group liked that feeling so much that we always let starting characters roll randomly for a magic item. It didn't matter if you ended up with a +2 military fork, a potion of fire breathing or a chime of interruption. It was always exciting just to see what you'd get. Just like opening birthday presents!

All in all, while treasure is not necessary it is a nice bonus.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Finding treasure is one element in the set of Having Fun. So finding treasure is Fun, but not all Fun is finding treasure.

Remove ads