• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Does Glitterdust (3.5) shed light? Does it require ambient light to work?

anon

First Post
Does Glitterdust (3.5) shed light? Does it require ambient light to work?

These are basically the same question. To be clear, by "shed light" I mean only enough light to see the illuminated target, not enough to see by, or any other use of the light.

anon

First Post
I think my first question is just confusing the issue.

Does Glitterdust require a source of light in order to "glitter"? Does it work in complete darkness?

Cyclone_Joker

First Post
I think my first question is just confusing the issue.

Does Glitterdust require a source of light in order to "glitter"? Does it work in complete darkness?
No. Even in complete darkness, its effects still do precisely what they say they do: Blind, outline, and give a massive-assed penalty to Hide. Those effects are completely independent of any illumination.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I'd visualize it glowing with a bright but very self contained light. So if you cast it in complete darkness, you pretty much see a bunch of gold dots on a black shadow. You wouldn't see anything else in the area, or be able to recognize the figure, other than a basic shape and size.

Targets in the affected area are definitely blinded, regardless of the light level. The dust is a conjuration effect, and particles can still blind you with no light. So the spell still has a use against enemies with Darkvision.

As for the effect on invisible targets, the spells says that it covers the area, "visibly outlining invisible things". With no other relevant text, I would make a default assumption that this "visibly" refers to something that is normally visible to the caster. It would not make the target visible if the caster were blinded. It would not make the target visible if he was behind cover. And it will not make the target visible in complete darkness.

It's like drawing a line around the target. You can draw a black line on a black piece of paper, and the line is still there even if a normal person can't see it. The outlining would still be useful for a caster (or friend) with Darkvision, though.

Last edited:

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I've always thought it works fine in darkness. Although I grant you there's nothing in the description that says outright the motes of dust glow with their own light.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Can't sparkle and glitter without some light.

I agree it does not provide illumination, but whatever is covered in it is going to glitter and sparkle. And everyone one else in range can see it and point and laugh at it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads