• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Knockback feat cease an opponent's movement on an AoO?

Kor

First Post
I'm sure I have read several times that if I use knockback to knock someone back on my attack of opportunity, that the foe's movement is then ended.

However, there is nothing in the knockback or bullrush rules that state this though. Is there an faq on this?

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
No. AFAIK, attacks of opportunity don't interrupt an action, they just occur simultaneously with it.

Anyone mind looking it up? (I just don't feel like searching through the rules right now to make sure my recollection is accurate)

RigaMortus2

First Post
AoOs do interrupt the normal flow. You can cause an opponent to provoke by moving them back via Bullrush. Not sure about Knockback, but if it doesn't say one way or the other, than as long as they pass through a threat area, they would provoke.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
RigaMortus2 said:
AoOs do interrupt the normal flow. You can cause an opponent to provoke by moving them back via Bullrush. Not sure about Knockback, but if it doesn't say one way or the other, than as long as they pass through a threat area, they would provoke.

That's not the question being asked. (Though it's an interesting question - the feat lets you make a Bull Rush attempt, but states "The Knockback attempt does not provoke an AoO". If it left out the word 'attempt', I'd assume that the opponent being Bull Rushed provoked no AoO for movement... but the inclusion of the word 'attempt' suggests that it's only the person initiating the Knockback who is protected from the AoO normally incurred by initiating a Bull Rush. It appears that the Knockbackee can still provoke for movement (from anyone except the Knockbackor).)

The creature moved through a threatened square of its own volition, provoking an AoO... let's say it has a 30 foot speed, and it's moved 15 feet as part of a move action when the AoO is provoked. The AoO, with the Knockback feat, knocks it 5 feet backwards.

Does he still have 15 feet of movement remaining as part of his move action? As far as I can tell, yes, he does... the feat doesn't do anything to remove remaining movement (except that he has to cover the same patch of ground twice).

Contrast the language of the feat with the Stand Still feat from XPH, which uses the phrase "as if he had used up his move actions for the round".

Try combining Knockback and Stand Still for the effect you're after... though bear in mind that if you're using Stand Still, you don't actually deal any damage despite making a damage roll.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

azhrei_fje

First Post
And the wording for Large and In Charge from the Draconomicon also explicitly states that the AoO, if successful, prevents further movement: "The opponent you push cannot move any further in the round."

Remove ads