• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does Magic Initiate need changing?

I'm with those who agree MI is good and/or powerful as it is. No need to change it. Pros & Cons for MI versus the other feats, and that is good. Depending upon how one wants to build their character, they all have their appropriate uses.

Joshy

Explorer
One of the homebrew changes my groups sometimes use is having Magic Initate grant the spell as permanently prepared and increase caster level by half, up to character level.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
maybe if MI gave you a number of castings equal to your modifier in the relevant casting stat of the class you learnt the spells from when taken by non-casters, instead of just a single use. (or casters too if it doesn't count as a 'spell known')

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think MI is probably the feat I have taken most often as a character's first feat (either at 1 for a VHuman, or at 4). I don't find it mediocre at all, and is often a great way to create a build that I want.

While I agree the feats in Tasha's don't need to be half-feats (they would be desirable without the +1 casting stat), the problem (if any) is with them, not with MI. Neither Feytouched or Shadowtouched let you take Find Familiar, which is one reason MI remains competitive.

I've taken MI (Druid) for multiple builds, building off of cantrips
  • for a shillelagh-using Paladin
  • for a Magic-Stone wielding Rogue
  • to give guidance to a fighter
  • to give Sacred flame to a cleric, so they can have an attack cantrip with a to-hit roll.
I think for the first three, a healing spell was taken for the level 1 spell.

All of these were/are amazingly fun to play. So yes, MI doesn't have the "wow"-factor of a second-level spell, but the freat can be used to make distinct builds andto play with the expectations of builds in exciting ways.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
MI isn't a feat that gives you a 1st level spell to cast and 2 cantrips.

It is a feat that gives you 2 cantrips and also a 1st level spell to cast.

I would only make 2 changes to the feat:

1) Allow the spell to be cast with spell slots
2) Allow the spell and cantrips to be cast with choice of cha/int/wis.

jgsugden

Legend
If released today the mechanics would likely have allowed the user to cast the spell additional times using slots, and might have even given the feat owner a +1 to an ability score. However, it is fine as is. Correct power levels for a feat is a range, not a point, and plenty of people have taken this feat with a PC and been very glad they did so.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I mostly agree with you, perfect balance is impossible. I guess my question is if the difference is "acceptable" or if it's too wide. I feel it's sort of at the edge between acceptable and needing a tweak.

Incidentally, I think shadow-touched grants invisibility, not darkness, but that's just a detail. However, fey/shadow touched also grants a first level spell (with limited school choice), that is not nothing. Does that change your mind?
For me, it is just at the point of being okay in the disparity between them.

You could be right about the invisibility, I haven't read it in a long time.

Yes, they both grant a 1st level spell, but so does Magic Initiate--so I consider that a wash. They only difference is (as I said) the new feats allow you to cast the spells again if you have spell slots for them.

I have read that technically speaking, you can't re-cast the magic initiate spell with other slots from your class. Perhaps changing that would help make it more "competitive"?
That would be a perfectly acceptable idea, since I don't see it as too far behind...

I have read that technically speaking, you can't re-cast the magic initiate spell with other slots from your class. Perhaps changing that would help make it more "competitive"?

Yeah that's what I was saying. If it's not on your class list, its a once a day thing.

I allow it to simply be added to your spells known like any other spell, and cast with slots.

Remove ads