• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does PC equipment tend to go into Hammerspace when not in use?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I despise Hammerspace in RPGs. In our D&D game, I play a cleric with shield and hammer. I make sure I know how to "juggle" shield, hammer, and free hand for spell casting. I even took the Still Spell metamagic feat because of this.

A Player getting away with his PC carrying a bunch of stuff without regard to at least a nod towards encumbrance of some type is as annoying as a Player being allowed to use his own charisma and social skills in place of a PC who hasn't the points in them.

Bullgrit

Go get PCGen. It works wonders for gear management. It handles handy haversacks, bags of holding, gloves of storing, keeping gear on your horse, the whole shebang.

Well, I assume it works for 4e. I've played a handful of 4e pickup games but no campaigns. I guess for gear it really doesn't matter what edition it is.

Dross

Explorer
I depends,
unless the item is bulky and or heavy, or if the PC's load is important (for tumbling) we only roughly calculate. We are more wary of where items are for retrieval purposes though.

And we do try to ensure that a casters with shields, weapons and the like in their hands appropriately deal with the problem.

I despise Hammerspace in RPGs. In our D&D game, I play a cleric with shield and hammer. I make sure I know how to "juggle" shield, hammer, and free hand for spell casting. I even took the Still Spell metamagic feat because of this.

I suggest switching to 4E, where you are not required to hold your holy symbol on hand to cast and many of your prayers would be channeled through your hammer instead. ;)

But I understand what you mean, when a character pulls out a 10 ft pole from their backpack, or when a halfling is carrying 1,500 gold pieces in their purse, it can certainly strain suspension of disbelief!

Montague68

First Post

A Player getting away with his PC carrying a bunch of stuff without regard to at least a nod towards encumbrance of some type is as annoying as a Player being allowed to use his own charisma and social skills in place of a PC who hasn't the points in them.

Bullgrit

As a DM I'm a lot more lenient on this than I used to be years ago. Probably has to do with the limited amount of free time nowadays compared to high school/college but these days I don't even have characters keep track of arrows or bolts. Obviously if the encumbrance is too egregious (like a 10 STR halfling trying to lug a 300 lb statue up a flight of stairs) I'll say no but for the most part the days of me caring how much someone's gear weighs are over. There's too many dragons and demons to slay to sweat the small stuff ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My character in a Buffy game had a magic leather trenchcoat out of which he could pull any number of weapons. It was called the Coat of Arms.

Ever watch the TV show, Parker Lewis Can't Lose? (Damn funny!) The 2nd main supporting character, Jerry Steiner, had such a trenchcoat. Besides producing mundane things such as pens and telescopes from its inner recesses, it also disgorged such items as large fish for tossing to Kubiak, a computer printer (printing), guard dogs (barking at would be coat-thief), and a full-sized submarine periscope.
Wikipedia
Jerry Steiner (played by Troy Slaten) - Archetypal nerd. In the first two seasons, he wears a trench coat (said to be made by NASA) from which he produces almost any object imaginable, apparently fixed inside with velcro.

As for "hammerspace" in general- I frown upon it unless your PC actually have a means of employing it- a Bag of Holding, a Quiver of Ehlonna, a TARDIS, whatever.

Wolf72

Explorer
when my brother DM'd back in 80's we learned to keep track of things on our character sheet.

We had to have items recorded, paid for, and have a location for it ... and if there wasn't enough room to swing that two-handed sword (like in a 4ft wide tunnel you'd better have a dagger or shortsword).

Getting the bag of Holding was almost a holy grail to us ...

Ambrus

Explorer
I generally keep track of gear, weight and storage space in my campaigns. At the moment none of the players have bags of holding.

The one thing that boggles my mind are polearms. I simply can't conceive of someone carrying a polearm all day, walking down a bustling city street, into taverns, squeezing down a dungeon corridor, etc. A pike is loooong. And how does one sheathe or stow a polearm when not in use exactly? I can't conceive of a holster, harness or assortment of ropes that could make strapping it to one's backside feasible. When PCs with polearms walk into taverns I always imagine NPCs comically getting impaled, sliced or whacked by the polearm in the background as the piker moves around the taproom unawares. :p

Mentat55

First Post
I am always trying to get a Heward's Handy Haversack as soon as possible. On top of its bag of holding-like properties, the item I want is always at the top of the pack. Awesome!

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I use 'Hammerspace' very simply.

Coins have a special coin purse that can contain all of their thousands of gold pieces almost completely weightless. But I also use Trade Bars in 100/1000/5000/10000 amounts to help with major purchases and storage.

Really the only time it is an issue is when weight is a major issue, i.e. swimming / that flimsy bridge over the large ravine / carrying another person.
Generally its a handwave, and my group (former currently without due to move) didn't abuse it either except in case of gold.

Once when first starting 3E, my group at the time had a brand new player straight from WOW and other PC gaming. She played an Elven archer, not a big deal till she was firing arrows left and right and when we finally made it to town, she wasn't making arrows or buying any. We asked why not, she said I still have plenty. Questioning look from us, her sheet had written down 40 quivers of arrows with the the ones used marked off.
Needless to say we all had a great laugh of it once we explained the impossiblity of it and still have the ability to move. We ended up chipping in and gettering her the Quiver of Ehlonna. Its still funny to this day.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads