• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Saga Edition make anyone else jones for Star Wars in general?

LostSoul

Adventurer
I get a desire to play Star Wars every 6 months or so. Sadly, it's been a while. But fear not! I will be playing on Monday.

Insight said:
The problem with Star Wars as a setting is that the super-important, universe-shaking events have nothing to do with your player characters. Unless you are willing to make major changes to canonical events, the closest you can come to bringing your PCs into the action in the movies is allow them to meet and possibly aid the characters from the movies.

I think this is only a problem if you want your character to be Luke and do the things he did in the movies.

In two games I ran to completion, we played during the Galactic Civil War and the PCs had a major impact on the outcome of the rebellion without ever meeting (or even coming close to) the characters in the films.

But even without that, you can have a great time playing during the rebellion. I can play a game during WW2 without having to blow Hitler away or organizing D-Day or the Battle of Kursk and still have fun. You make the game personal to the characters and the fact that Luke and Vader tag-team the Emperor doesn't matter so much.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Asmor said:
This happen to anyone else?

You're definitely not alone. I've been re-watching the six movies, and then again all full-length commentaries, posting on StarWars.com, purchased an Hyperspace membership, can't stop brainstorming about it... you name it.

I think SECR is absolutely wonderful and it totally has me jonesing for SW in general!

As others have said, the SW universe is absolutely huge in terms of both time and space, so canon doesn't need to be a problem unless your PCs insist on being the ones who bring down the Empire. But certainly there are lots of very cool, gameable things to do in all the eras. In fact, I think SW is one of the best universes for gaming, bar none -- it has all the benefits of both fantasy and SF, and the added bonus of familiarity for any player I've ever gamed with.

KoOS

Wraith Form

Explorer
Remus Lupin said:
There is of course a whole other era that we haven't even discussed: the "Dark Times" era, taking place right after the Jedi Purge.
This is where I'd have my group play, if we did. Weirdly, I find it VERY difficult to come up with plots for SW, even harder than standard "fantasy D&D".

I hope like hell they (WotC or anyone else) intend to write adventures for the game since I have such a hard time doing so.

Wraith Form

Explorer
LostSoul said:
I can play a game during WW2 without having to blow Hitler away or organizing D-Day or the Battle of Kursk and still have fun. You make the game personal to the characters and the fact that Luke and Vader tag-team the Emperor doesn't matter so much.
Q F T

Remove ads