• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the character count as his ally

The Digger

First Post
Mengu said:
No need for errata on this one as mentioned. However if you have the Healing Hands feat, the additional hitpoints are only for allies.

I agree that '1 creature' includes the paladin so he can use LOH on himself but I find the wording of 'Healing Hands' confusing.

"When you use LOH the affected ally gains additional hit points..." ( my emphasis) ---Which ally?

The phrase 'the ally' must refer back to a previously mentioned ally. But there is no such person - only '1 creature'. If HH had said AN affected ally I would agree that it cannot include the paladin but the way it is written I believe must mean

--"When you use LOH THE PERSON AFFECTED BY LOH gains additional... "

Personally I believe the original intention was that LOH would not heal the paladin but that that was later altered but without re-wording HH. The result is that we now have this clumsy English grammar which is causing no end of confusion.

"The cleric daily Bastion of Hope doesn't do any damage the the enemy just weakens it. Bastion of Defense does 3[w] plus gives +1 to all allies defenses if you hit. Plus it gives allies 5 + cha temp hitpoints even if you miss. Thats a pretty bad ass power."

I think you mean "Beacon of Hope." This power is amazing. The power's burst three radius causes enemies hit to be weakened; the creatures dmg is halved, and the status condition lasts until the end of their next turn Thats hardly minor.

Thats just the icing.

The power also gives everyone in burst 5hp <--- + your wisdom mod.

The power makes any healing you do grant an additional +5hp.

This power supercharges your healing while temporarily halving target(s) dmg output.

For an example; For a healing word thats 1healing surge value, +1d6 hp, + wisdom modifier, + 5 from beacon.

The Digger

First Post
The wording of Healing Hands (PHB) says "...the affected ally..." NOT "the affected target"!

And the purpose of the sentence is twofold: It tells us WHO is to gain additional hit points - the affected ally - and how many hit points they are to regain - equal to your Charisma modifier -.

The point I am making is that nowhere does it say who "...the affected ally...", is since nowhere in 'Lay On Hands' (PHB page 91) is the word ally mentioned. The target of LOH is given as "One creature" ( which per page 57 PHB includes the paladin) whilst in the Effect it talks of 'The Target' i.e. 'the one creature' given under the heading of Target.

I still maintain that the wording of Healing Hands is clumsy and does not mesh with the wording of Lay on Hands. I believe that HH should affect anyone affected by LOH - including the Paladin, but the unfortunate wording of HH would seem to deny that. As it stands it looks like the paladin can heal himself with LOH but he cannot benefit from the extra hit points from HH.

Lurker37

Explorer
Of course he does - the power clearly states that you need to spend a surge to power it.

He just doesn't get healing from the surge in addition to the lay on hands - just the lay on hands.

Oompa

First Post
Of course he does - the power clearly states that you need to spend a surge to power it.

He just doesn't get healing from the surge in addition to the lay on hands - just the lay on hands.

the power's effect line said:
You spend a healing surge but regain no hit points. Instead, the target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge. You must have at least one healing surge remaining to use this power.

Yeah.. ok.. the wording is weird.. you spent an surge, but gain hp as if you dont spend an surge..

Last edited:

Remove ads