• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does the Eldritch Knight suck?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Does the Eldritch knight archetype suck when compared to other gishes like tempest/war domain clerics or paladins? Or even multiclass wizard/fighter? Or even previous iterations like pathfinder's magus? Why or why not?

2 things:

1. The character builds forum is over here. That's the place to post threads like this.

2. Please stop saying "gish."

Zardnaar

Legend
Also EKs are one of 2 caster proficient in con saves. Personally I would probably take utility spells such as enhance ability and versatile things like firebolt to make say a strength based PC better at range.

Based on all the answers, it seems the EK is far from "suck" :) Seems like Rangers alone hold that title. The EK definitely fills a fun niche.

Also I found this article over at GitP. Looks like it will be a good read.
Rangers are awesome too. They have a slightly different niche, fewer defensive powers, better and more offensive spells, and at-will Volley for AoE before the EK's Fireball even comes online.

hejtmane

Explorer
Thanks Gadget.

Based on your responses, it sounds like Eldritch Knights are a very enjoyable subclass :) So they do get the same benefits that wizards get. This means even more perks like:
- Eschew Materials to ignore spell components, or DMs who just handwave them
- If the character picks a spell that he later regrets, then he can negotiate with the DM to retrain the spell
- The DM may allow you to make random arcana rolls (e.g. the wizard rolled a 1, but the DM still wants to give the party information)

This out-of-combat potential seems staggering to me, even if it is limited in quantity. Way more flexibility in Exploration & Social than a champion fighter or battle master.

I do require verbal and somatic components and generally ignore Materials unless they are doing specific ritual spell example rise the dead ( i ignore them for like the glyph of warding)

ZzarkLinux

First Post
versatile things like firebolt to make say a strength based PC better at range.

And send a flare down a long corridor.
And light a rope on fire from a distance.
And melt an ice wall.
And light a torch after you've fallen in a river and the matches are all wet.
And leave scorched rocks to mark your path.
And intimidate farmers everywhere.
And barkeeps too....

I'm sure there's another thread on this somewhere.

I do require verbal and somatic components and generally ignore Materials unless they are doing specific ritual spell example rise the dead ( i ignore them for like the glyph of warding)

Agreed. I'm sure that people in 3.5 tracked arrows as much as they tracked bat guano. Some components and resources just aren't worth tracking in game time. As long as the PC does the fluff right, then the small stuff gets handwaved.

On a related note, last night I was wondering how a Fighter in FullPlate can actually carry the 100 pounds of gear his strength allows. Can a backpack be physically attached to fullplate? Or is it just another concession that DMs give to the poor mundane fighter classes?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads