• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the "marked" penalty apply to OA's?

Emirikol

Adventurer
Does the "marked" penalty apply to opportunity attacks?

For example, the paladin marks the ogre with his power. The ogre happens to get an OA against a fighter moving past. Does the paladin get his radiant 'whatever' damage?

jh

Dalzig

First Post
An OA is an attack....

I fail to see the question. Attack means any attack, not "an attack on your turn that you instigate."

Sorry if this seems harsh... but an attack is an attack is an attack.

Danceofmasks

First Post
For this instance, sure.

There are other causes for confusion ... such as if a ranger+heavy blade opportunity uses twin strike with an OA ..
Some think he'll take the penalty (and burn) on his 1st attack vs. the fighter, and then swings vs. the paladin.
I think the dividing line is after both attacks are resolved, being primary attacks, and he doesn't burn.
Some think so long as the paladin is attacked anywhere in the power (secondary, tertiary, whatever), it's cool.

Deadstop

Explorer
Hmm. That's a good one.I'd have to say that primary, secondary, and tertiary attacks are explicitly distinct attacks, so you'd take the challenge damage for each one not targeted at the paladin. Whereas a burst or blast attack would be a single attack that potentially includes the paladin, even though you roll separately to hit each target.Deadstop

Yaezakura

First Post
Keep in mind, however, that the Paladin can only activate his Challenge once per round--once the enemy makes one attack that doesn't include the Paladin and takes damage, he's free to make any other attacks until the Paladin takes another turn. He still suffers a -2 penalty to all attacks that don't include the Paladin, but he's at no further risk of damage.

Scarface6174

First Post
Keep in mind, however, that the Paladin can only activate his Challenge once per round--once the enemy makes one attack that doesn't include the Paladin and takes damage, he's free to make any other attacks until the Paladin takes another turn. He still suffers a -2 penalty to all attacks that don't include the Paladin, but he's at no further risk of damage.

I don't think so. You can only Divinly challenge one enemy per turn. However, the text says nothing about you having to activate the divine challenge as an interrupt (only one per round).

It says that the enemy takes a -2 to attacks that do not include you and they take the radiant damage as well. No limit.

As for the OP, an attack is an attack is an attack. OA or not. the -2 applies and so does the damage.

Yaezakura

First Post
I don't think so. You can only Divinly challenge one enemy per turn. However, the text says nothing about you having to activate the divine challenge as an interrupt (only one per round).

Okay, I got my worded a bit mixed up. In fact, the Paladin can't choose not to activate the damage, but the damage still only occurs once per round. Here's a snippet from the description.

PHB pg91 said:
Also, it takes radiant damage equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier the first time it makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target before the start of your next turn.

Emphasis mine. But you see, it can only happen once each round.

Remove ads