• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the Monk class stink?

Angcuru

First Post
Monks LOVE bracers of armor, yes they do!

I personally plan to play as a half-orc monk in my next game. Captain Whoopass...yeah...;)

The only monk I ever played could keep up with the fighter, but that's only because my DM was generous at the time. Otherwise they are only good for support characters like everyone else has mentioned. If you wanna whoop arse, this isn't your class. If you want to be a very useful character, then it is.

ForceUser

Explorer
Monks are groovy, especially when combined with Oriental Adventures. They are a little underpowered as strictly melee, but I believe their versatility makes them viable characters. And, of course, they are getting love in 3.5.

I master a Dragonstar Camaign, and the Monk in the group is an extremely dangerous combattant, especially with Pressing Attack against all the guys who trust their Blaster Rifles and 5 Foot steps :)

The (8th level) Monk in this case IS a frontline fighter, and he did very well - though he died last adventure during a fight with 4 Hill Giants (one of them a Fighter). (But he was resourrected later)

These things aside, I do not recommend choosing Halfling. It won`t work well. Monks are in advantage when choosing to trip, grapple or maybe disarm, and Halflings can`t do this well with their small size.

Mustrum Ridcully

schporto

First Post
We have a monk, and a standard fighter in our campaign. So far here's what we see:
Straight fight/slug it out - fighter wins.
Odd fight - monk wins.
Where a straight fight is two groups toe to toe no maneuvering, nothing exciting except a couple spells being tossed maybe.
Odd fights are:
Groups at different heights
Ranged to start (the monk can move in real quick)
Got ambushed while sleeping (no armor? hell I didn't have any to start with)
Prisoners - weapons?!? I don't need no stenkin weapons!

So I guess it would depend on how your campaign runs. Toe to toe against a big baddie is not the monks ideal situation. Mobility and lack of armor are the monks 'benefits'.
-cpd

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Also be aware that the spring attack tactic isn't always that good...since the opponents just tend to ignore you anyway compared to the front line fighter! You may well be better off sticking in there to make full use of your greater number of attacks round.

Remove ads