• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the shardmind seem overpowered?

Flipguarder

First Post
1st, Cool you know about steven lynch
2nd, its stephen lynch
3rd, what song of his says that. I know of "hermaphrodite" but I dont think it ever says "the best of both worlds"
4th I'm fairly certain stephen lynch didn't originate the concept of a hermaphrodite.
5th IF anything its a miley cyrus/hanna montana reference
6th It is both sad and creepy that I could make such a reference, let alone have the will to state in a post that I could make the reference.

Drevvin

First Post
Does telepathy allow you to overhear the thoughts of a creature that isn't trying to communicate with you?

Eg. Could a shardmind translate the battle commands of the goblin warlord who is shouting in Goblin, even if Goblin isn't one of the shardmind's languages?

I haven't seen anything that indicates either way, but I'm inclined to rule that it couldn't.

Furthermore, telepathy won't help you read the BBEG's careless notes to his followers that are written in giant/abyssal/language of choice.

It's a small niche perhaps, but a niche nonetheless.

I am pretty sure based on what I have read that you can only communicate one way so you can telepathically talk to someone but they can't reply back in your mind it would have to be verbal unless said target of the link could also use telepathy. Just my .002 cents *verizon joke*

DracoSuave

First Post
I am pretty sure based on what I have read that you can only communicate one way so you can telepathically talk to someone but they can't reply back in your mind it would have to be verbal unless said target of the link could also use telepathy. Just my .002 cents *verizon joke*

telepathy: A creature that has telepathy can communicate telepathically with any other creature that has a language. The other creature must be within line of effect and within a specified range. Telepathy allows for two-way communication.

When in doubt, look the damn thing up.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
telepathy: A creature that has telepathy can communicate telepathically with any other creature that has a language. The other creature must be within line of effect and within a specified range. Telepathy allows for two-way communication.

Does it state whether it has to be willing two-way communication? I presume that it allows the creature with telepathy to communicate to another creature and hear its responses, but not to eavesdrop on its thoughts?

n.b. the definition introduces a little bit of conceptual weirdness, in that telepathy doesn't work through a glass window. Personally I would have thought that it makes more sense for it to work within line of sight rather than line of effect, from a traditional perspective.

Regards,

DracoSuave

First Post
Does it state whether it has to be willing two-way communication? I presume that it allows the creature with telepathy to communicate to another creature and hear its responses, but not to eavesdrop on its thoughts?

n.b. the definition introduces a little bit of conceptual weirdness, in that telepathy doesn't work through a glass window. Personally I would have thought that it makes more sense for it to work within line of sight rather than line of effect, from a traditional perspective.

Regards,

It's two-way communication, not one-way mindraping.

if the power allowed you to read their thoughts unwillingly, then it would allow them to do exactly the same to you.

Remove ads