• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does this look alright?

Particle_Man

Explorer
I am playing a half-orc fighter, rolled my stats, and got (after racial adj)

str 16/dex 13/con12/int 7/wis 11/chr 9. He will likely bump up strength every 4 levels, unless there is a compelling reason not to.

My DM is letting us take all skills as class skills, and I went for Diplomacy and will max it out (trying to be nice as a way of overcoming discrimination). I am probably the only "Face" character in the party (it is a fairly hack and slash game).

I am trying for a tactical feel on feats, and also want to avoid taking weapon focus, etc., too soon so that I don't end up with a choice between the more powerful magic weapon and the one I focused on.

He is allowed a heroic path from Midnight, so I took Iron-born.

So, using feats from the PHB, and the first 4 completes, I came up with this:

1. Power Attack, Cleave
2. Dodge (current level)
3. Improved Unarmed Strike
4. Mobility
6. Elusive Target, Improved Bull Rush
8. Shock Trooper
9. Improved Sunder
10. Combat Brute
12. Combat Reflexes, Hold the Line
14. Close Quarter Fighting
15. Great Cleave
16. Weapon Focus
18. Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization
20. Greater Weapon Specialization

So will this character serve? Any tips or ideas?

Demoquin

First Post
If you are taking imp umarmed attack ... why not go for Imp Trip or Grapple? 1d3 +3 bonus in a grapple seems pretty decent. Along with the +4 bonus on the attempts. What full armed combatant actully carries a dagger or something similar when they have their longsword of SLAY ALL?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Improve grapple is a consideration, as is perhaps Clever Wrestling, Earth's Embrace, and other "grapple" feats.

Improved Trip is simply not an option, as a prerequisite for it is Int:13 and I only have Int:7. I have found some ways to get "free" trip attempts using Shock Trooper and Elusive Target. :)

zypherillius

First Post
cleave is a good feat, but i wouldnt necessarily waste a feat slot on great cleave unless you wish to go epic with it and qualify for something in there. if youre in a heavy combat campaign, its good, but ive only ever seen it used once, and it was only through three enemies. the concept is good, but i have yet to see it used in practical application.
as a suitable replacement, might i suggest vexing flanker or eyes in the back of your head?
if youve got vexing flanker, you get a +4 to your flank attacks instead of +2, but i think the flank buddy has to have it also. eyes in the back of your head allows you to never be flanked, and that can be much more usable than great cleave indeed.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I'm beginning to agree about Great Cleave.

I'm thinking of going:

15th Expert Tactician
16th Improved Grapple
18th Clever Wrestling

But am not sure what to do with the last two feats (fighter feats for 18th/20th).

Unfortunately, my DM won't allow PHB II feats, so Vexing Flanker is out. Eyes in the Back of my Head would require 2 more Wis (not impossible) but that actually might hurt my Elusive Target feat abilities, one of which requires me to be flanked to work. [edit: just looked at the feat - looks like I would still be flanked, just not subject to any +2 to hit by the opponents. So now it is just the wis prerequisite problem].

Earth's Embrace looked interesting at first, but it seems that I would have to remain immobile, which would mean that I lose a lot of options when pinning an opponent (unless I am misinterpreting the feat).

Other options: Quickdraw, Blindfight, Improved Overrun, Deflect Arrows, W. Focus (weapon, or maybe grapple), G.W. Focus, W. Spec., G.W. Spec.

Concept-wise, he worships Kord, so I could see going with W.Focus grapple for roleplay reasons, but I dunno, I would prefer tactical options to "more plusses" if I can help it. I've heard Improved Overrun actually makes the overrun maneuver a bit worse, since opponents can't chose to get out of the way. But if you are pretty sure you are going to win, it is a nice way to bowl people over on your way to the BBEG. And Deflect Arrows has an undeniable coolness factor.

[Edit: I think I will follow my cool vibe and go for 18th: Quickdraw and 20th: Deflect Arrows. That way I can have a hand free to deflect the arrows and still get in a full attack with my uber-weapon when the enemies get close. Plus I can throw Javelins or something if they don't get close].

Last edited:

starwed

First Post
If you plan on actually using the unarmed attack, maybe you could take Superior Unarmed Attack from the Tome of Battle? It ups the melee damage you deal quite a bit.

Then you could carry a reach weapon to use in conjunction with the unarmed strikes...

Also, if you take Dodge and Mobility, why not take Spring Attack as well?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Tome of Battle is not allowed by my DM (fair enough, since the campaign started before he had a chance to even look at it).

Spring Attack would not fit my character, as he is destined (by dint of the rest of the party makeup) to be a front line fighter, keeping the bad guys off the spellcasters backs.

I like the idea of a reach weapon, though.

Infiniti2000

First Post
zypherillius said:
cleave is a good feat, but i wouldnt necessarily waste a feat slot on great cleave unless you wish to go epic with it and qualify for something in there. if youre in a heavy combat campaign, its good, but ive only ever seen it used once, and it was only through three enemies. the concept is good, but i have yet to see it used in practical application.
This depends on a ruling on mirror image. If you allow cleaving through a mirror image, then great cleave is an excellent ability vs. it.

I occasionally throw some low-level mooks at the high-level fighter (15th) IMC just so he can great cleave through them. +10PA is still an auto-hit (barring a nat. 1).

Mobility is pretty much a useless feat. I'd not take it unless you were going for Spring Attack. Keep in mind that you don't have to use Spring Attack all the time, but it's great to use for approaching an enemy with reach or to escape an enemy with one last attack and end up near the cleric for some healing.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Mobility is my ticket to Elusive Target, which is a fun feat.

With my low dex, I am thinking heavy armor is the way to go, which lets out Spring Attack unless I find Mithral Armor (not guaranteed in this campaign).

Cartigan Mrryl

First Post
Demoquin said:
If you are taking imp umarmed attack ... why not go for Imp Trip or Grapple? 1d3 +3 bonus in a grapple seems pretty decent. Along with the +4 bonus on the attempts. What full armed combatant actully carries a dagger or something similar when they have their longsword of SLAY ALL?

As a side to this guy's comment: Imp. Trip allows you to trip with a +4 bonus, AND you get a free attack on him @ whatever attack bonus you tripped him on, plus he's prone so afterwards you would get a +4 to Atk Rolls because he's prone, then he needs to get up next round....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads