• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does this setting exist?

Remathilis

Legend
jdrakeh said:
Despite some misgivings, this does look awfully sexy. Sadly, I won't be able to afford it in the forseeable future (anything more than about $40 is firmly in the "luxury item" zone for me so far as gaming is concerned).

If it was a bit cheaper and I wasn't so heavily invested into Eberron, this would be my next campaign, so I feel you...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Thanks for your help everybody. I traded off a big stack of books (including The Black Company Campaign Setting, A Game of Thrones, D&D Basic Game and others) for $75.00 in credit at the FLGS. And, after some browsing of the IK World Guide and Aldea, as well as some sniffing around the shrink-wrapped Aerth and Wilderlands boxed sets, I finally picked up. . .

Cyradon

A setting that nobodoy mentioned. I ended up with Cyradon for two reasons -- first, at $30.00, it left me with plenty of credit to pick up a few other things that I've been eyeing lately (notably Burning Wheel Revised and the BW Monster Burner). Second, it's remarkably heavy on the fluff and light on the rules. If anybody else was/is looking for this kind of fluff/crunch distribution in a setting, I recommend that you give Cyradon a look.

There are some brief rules for character races, skill packages, and spells specific to the setting -- but they're light enouh on actual mechanics that porting them into True20 or Risus (or D&D, for that matter) looks likt it will be a cinch. Oh, and there is a set of random monster encounter tables (but plugging beasties from your favorite system into said tables should be plenty easy) and a brief bestiary (which, again, isn't too rules-heavy).

Overall, it looks like a good deal for $30.00 -- plus the maps are oh so sexy and you can play as a gryphon. How cool is that?

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
Thats because that is for HARP. If I had noticed you asking for settings completely outside of d20 I would have mentioned Cyradon. The "College of MAgics" book is pretty good too. I think you will want to get it if you really want to bring out the magic aspect of the setting, which appeals to me the most.

Plus you should go ahead and get HARN material as well, even better stuff than in Cyradon if you ask me. Glorantha might appeal to you, but it doesn't appeal to me nearly as strongly as Cyradon or HARN.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Treebore said:
Thats because that is for HARP.

Well, to be honest, HARP itself thoroughly underwhelmed me (I bought the whole line at one point in time). Cyradon, on the other hand, rubs me in all of the right places.

Plus you should go ahead and get HARN material as well

Again, finding Harn stuff at the FLGS is just next to impossible so it's right out. Also, attempting to use it with d20 (D&D) will drive me completely nuts (as mentioned earlier). Using Harn with the Burning Wheel might prove a lot of fun, but again -- just next to impossible to find the stuff at an actual brick and mortar store.

Glorantha might appeal to you

I like the original Glorantha stuff, but I looked at the MRQ version again tonight and I still can't bring myself to drop nearly $40 on such a small book, even if it is gorgeous. I think the only other book that small I've ver spent $0 or more on was the Hellboy RPG Limited Edition (which was leatherbound, foil-stamped, and sold out a week after its release).

Aus_Snow

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Again, finding Harn stuff at the FLGS is just next to impossible so it's right out. Also, attempting to use it with d20 (D&D) will drive me completely nuts (as mentioned earlier). Using Harn with the Burning Wheel might prove a lot of fun, but again -- just next to impossible to find the stuff at an actual brick and mortar store.
So. . . I take it you like your brick and mortar. :D

Any particular reason that you won't shop elsewhere?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Aus_Snow said:
So. . . I take it you like your brick and mortar. :D

Any particular reason that you won't shop elsewhere?

Reason 1: $15,0000 in debt.

The debt itself is slowly being paid off, but the fact that it exists makes it impossible for me to qualify for a credit card, which rules out 98% of online shopping. Also, I don't entirely trust myself with credt due to past events.

Reason 2: We have a phenomenal FLGS.

Seriously, this FLGS is like "sex with Heidi Klum good" so far as game stores go. They take used books in trade, they have a colossal selection of new and used games, knowledgeable and friendly staff (who make it a point to know regular customers by name), space for in-store gaming, dedicated online forums, and a special order policy that rocks my socks clean off. And they regulalry stock indie games that other stores won't touch with a ten-foot pole (e.g., Burning Empires, In Dark Alleys, etc).

Thiis isn't just another game store, it's the game store. It's the game store that other game stores everywhere want to be. I have no idea how they manage it, but I love it. I love it and I do what I can to make sure that this store gets my money, because I want it to be there for years to come. I've lived in or near six major metropolitan cities in my life and I haven't seen any other store that holds a candle to Compleat Games & Hobbieshttp://www.gamesandhobbies.com/.

So, uh. . .

It's one part poor credit history and three parts slavish fandom :D

Aus_Snow

First Post
Ouch. :(

Sorry to hear that (the first part).

Well, the second part is positive. That's something. :\ Nah, it does sound cool, actually.

I was going to suggest Harn as well, before (join the chorus, kinda thing). Glad that the HARP setting's working out though.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Aus_Snow said:
Ouch. :(

Sorry to hear that (the first part).

Well, the good thing about this is that I've been given a chance to reform my puschasing practices and learn from past mistakes, hopefully ensuring that I never get into the same situation again.

Nah, it does sound cool, actually.

It's really a very fantastic store.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads