D&D 5E Does Unarmed Strike Include Kicking

This is really a question for DMs. Would you consider a kick an unarmed strike? If a character takes the Tavern Brawler feat, does their kick do 1-4 damage?

The background for this question is a character carrying another injured character. If the character is attacked, can they use kicks to defend themselves without putting the character down?

WarpedAcorn

First Post
The background for this question is a character carrying another injured character. If the character is attacked, can they use kicks to defend themselves without putting the character down?

Or use the carried character as an improvised weapon! =)

Seriously though, I think this is a DM decision. Tavern Brawler I see is a "brawler" fighting Style. I see kicks and whatnot as the realm of martial arts guys like Monks, but I also see brawling including attacks other than fists...like headbutts, knees to the groin, elbow, shoulder bashes, etc. And all of those seem perfectly viable while carrying someone or having your hands full.

procproc

First Post
Absolutely yes, IMO.

Tavern Brawler is pretty weak as far as feats go, and the player spent a significant resource to have it. I'd allow it to work in most situations where it's even remotely plausible for it to apply.

CydKnight

Explorer
I interpret it to mean any part of the body that sticks out and can be used to strike. This could be fists, elbows, knees, feet, etc. The player conceives it and the DM can help them resolve what it looks like.

kalani

First Post
Yes. The only restriction is that unless you are a monk - you cannot use your unarmed strike while wielding a weapon (by RAW). I have a slightly more liberal interpretation and only restrict characters from using weapons and unarmed strikes in the same turn (monks excluded)

Remove ads