• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does vulnerability stack ?

Erestor

First Post
Hello

Does Vulnerability Stack ?

If I use the Feat "Lasting Frost", that give a 5 frost vulnerability and use the power of an Orb (don't remember that name) that make a "magic resistance" become a "frost vulnerability 5", does the target have a frost vulnerability of 10 ?

Sorry for my bad english ^^

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Don't worry about your English!

I can't point to a page number at the moment, but I believe that with vulnerabilities you would just use the highest value (i.e. they do not stack)

Cheers

DemonLord57

First Post
Erestor said:
Hello

Does Vulnerability Stack ?

If I use the Feat "Lasting Frost", that give a 5 frost vulnerability and use the power of an Orb (don't remember that name) that make a "magic resistance" become a "frost vulnerability 5", does the target have a frost vulnerability of 10 ?

Sorry for my bad english ^^

Short Answer: It depends, but in that situation, no.

Longer Answer: If the vulnerabilities are to different types of damage, then yes, they "stack" in a sense. In other words, if an attack does fire and radiant damage, and the creature has Fire vuln 5 and Radiant vuln 5, then they'll take 10 extra damage.

However, vulnerabilities of the same type do not stack. Only the highest applies. Also, the orb power you are talking about only applies to creatures that have resistance to a certain type of damage. While a creature can have both a resistance and vulnerability to the same type of damage, it almost never happens (never naturally). So the situation where that orb created a vulnerability to something that they were already vulnerable against is relatively unlikely, but then whichever vulnerability was higher would apply.

It's easy to know if you just look at resistances (or imagine how they work) as they follow the exact same rules. By the way, the rules on Resistances and Vulnerabilites in the PHB is on page 276. The monster manual also has a small blurb in the glossary, but it doesn't say much.

Last edited:

Norhg

First Post
There is nothing written in the book about Vulnerabilities and whether they stack or not. There's a blurb about penalties on page 275, but those rules aim at rolls and not static effects and rules that effects from different powers would stack.

Lasting frost gets insane very quickly, if you allow it to stack with itself so you shouldn't. Allowing it to stack with vulnerabilities from different powers is a tossup, not covered by the rules

Remove ads