• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does wizard (or sorc) levels stack with PrC to determine CL?

cwhs01

First Post
Does wizard (or sorc) levels stack with a PrC granting +1casterlevel to determine spells, in determining CL?

My thoughts (and how we usually play with it), would be a yes... But then i stumbled upon the Green Star adept in Complete Arcane, that grants an Improved Casterlevel ability. And as i read it, it basically states that CL is normally based on the highest casterlevel (either wizard or the prc), and not the combined total. But ofcourse i might have misunderstood this ability. And to confuse me even more, it seems that all example characters in the book have CL (given by their spelllists) of the combined classes, prc and regular... even without the improved casterlevel ability.

So which is it?

Infiniti2000

First Post
cwhs01 said:
Does wizard (or sorc) levels stack with a PrC granting +1casterlevel to determine spells, in determining CL?
Yes. It has to. Otherwise you can't even cast the spells it grants.

cwhs01 said:
My thoughts (and how we usually play with it), would be a yes... But then i stumbled upon the Green Star adept in Complete Arcane, that grants an Improved Casterlevel ability. And as i read it, it basically states that CL is normally based on the highest casterlevel (either wizard or the prc), and not the combined total. But ofcourse i might have misunderstood this ability. And to confuse me even more, it seems that all example characters in the book have CL (given by their spelllists) of the combined classes, prc and regular... even without the improved casterlevel ability.

So which is it?
Not having the book, there might be confusion based on class level and not caster level. The wizard class level determines the abilities of the familiar, for example, and the green star adept class level (not including wizard) might determine some green star adept abilities.

Perhaps the PrC adds the two together for some abilities?

cmanos

First Post
most of the new PrC's that are coming out state the character gains an advanced Caster Level for the purpose of Caster Level Checks and determination of Spells Per Day and Spells known. Personally, that is how I interpret all PrCs unless it specifically states they DON'T get that.

The Green Star Adept gives you the spells per day and spells known every other level, but then the Caster Level Improvement gives you the Caster Level bonus every level, meaning, for CASTER LEVEL CHECKS ONLY, you add your spellcaster class level and GSA level, but for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known, you use the progression as stated under the GSA Spellcasting column.

I.e. A L10 Wizard, L4 GSA would, for the purposes of Caster Level Checks, be a 14th level caster, but the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known he would be a L12 Wizard.

sukael

First Post
cmanos said:
most of the new PrC's that are coming out state the character gains an advanced Caster Level for the purpose of Caster Level Checks and determination of Spells Per Day and Spells known. Personally, that is how I interpret all PrCs unless it specifically states they DON'T get that.

The Green Star Adept gives you the spells per day and spells known every other level, but then the Caster Level Improvement gives you the Caster Level bonus every level, meaning, for CASTER LEVEL CHECKS ONLY, you add your spellcaster class level and GSA level, but for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known, you use the progression as stated under the GSA Spellcasting column.

I.e. A L10 Wizard, L4 GSA would, for the purposes of Caster Level Checks, be a 14th level caster, but the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known he would be a L12 Wizard.

...uh. Not just 'checks'--caster level in general.

boolean

Explorer
sukael said:
...uh. Not just 'checks'--caster level in general.

So, to give an example, a Fighter 2/Wizard 4/ GSA 4 would prepare spells as a 6th level wizard, but would count as 8th level for range, effect etc. A fireball from this example character would do 8d6 damage.

Thanee

First Post
Yep, Green Star Adept grants something in the middle between half spellcasting progression and full spellcasting progression (spells of half and caster level of full progression), basically a built-in Practised Spellcaster.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads