• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does your city have a cleric NPC and what can he cure?

Coroc

Hero
That is a relatively complex formula. Mine has always been

base cost = (Spell level)^2 x 100 + material components:

Level 1 = 100
2 = 400
3 = 900
etc.
9 = 8100

Depending on reactions, etc. cost could quadruple if things go poorly, and are never reduced.

Funny I use exactly the same formula for spell scrolls, add 25(bucks/zorkmids/I use silver standard) for an empty scroll and you are complete.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For scrolls I've always used 300 g.p. per spell level if the spell has no significant consumable components.

If the spell has significant component costs attached the buyer must either assume these costs or provide the component(s).

Some spells - mostly divine - require additional payments i.e. sacrifices to appease the caster's deity (regardless whether the caster/scriber is a PC or an NPC) and these must always be paid.

And some spells, due to their power and-or rarity, have costs somewhat higher than the 300/level baseline.

For studying and copying a spell from a guild or NPC the 300 / spell level also applies, plus any power/rarity adjusts.

To simply get a spell cast for you is usually pretty cheap if the spell carries no risk to the caster, though you still have to pay for the components and-or sacrifices. If the spell carries risk to the caster, costs rise dramatically.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
In my version of Ravnica (population 252M), there's at least 1,000 people between Orzhov, Selesnya, and Simic (the main guilds that offer healing services) capable of casting either raise dead or reincarnate. Although it requires being at least not actively opposed to one of those guilds, which is not necessarily a given when you're an adventurer.

jasper

Rotten DM
Im not familiar with AL, how does it work?
Cost occasionally vary by season. But season 9
Cure wounds 10 gp
identify 20
Lesser Restore 40
prayer of healing 40
dispel magic, remove curse, speak with dead 90
Divination 210
Greater Restore 450
Raise dead 1,000
True Resurrection. 30,000
On last two burn an uncommon or greater magic and lost that slot until next tier. However if you sold your soul, any no coming back.

Remove ads