• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Your Group Allow Homebrew or 3PP Material for D&D Games?

Mine does, although so far we haven't actually used any, other than a couple of minor tweaks to the core material for flavor's sake. A few items were brought up and discussed and we said we'd try them out, but then they were never followed up on. So although right now everything in our game is from the core material, we're totally open to the possibility of 3rd party or homebrew material.

Mine does, although so far we haven't actually used any, other than a couple of minor tweaks to the core material for flavor's sake. A few items were brought up and discussed and we said we'd try them out, but then they were never followed up on.

So although right now everything in our game is from the core material, we're totally open to the possibility of 3rd party or homebrew material.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I use a 3rd party setting (Primeval Thule), along with character options published for that setting, and I in fact disallow a whole bunch of "core" stuff. So neither answer really fits my campaign, but one is more inaccurate than the other.

Sacrosanct

Legend
That is because of the other thread(s) which inspired this poll, in which a claim was made that most DMs don't allow non-official content of any kind.

So the poll is designed to test that very claim by presenting the options of A) some amount of non-official material of some kind is allowed, or B) "official only" is actually the case.

This is exactly right. It seems there were a few people who said they want more official content because 3PP and homebrew doesn't count and DMs won't allow anything not officially supported. I've even heard the claim that "most" DMs won't allow anything not official. So I wanted to see. It seems as if 80% of DMs will allow at least some non official material, so the great news is that if you have a DM that doesn't allow it, there's a high chance the next DM you play with will (depending on how out of the box you want**). Which goes back to rule 1 I suppose: If you're not enjoying the people you're playing with, find new people. It's a social game first and foremost.

** I.e., just because a DM might not allow exactly what YOU want (for various reasons), doesn't mean DM's don't allow 3PP or homebrew material, and thus the talking out before the game is important. And players need to realize that it's the DM's world, not theirs, so if you want to play in said game, you need to respect the person running it. For example, I have a player who wants to play a more combat orientated rogue, so they approach me with a class concept that removes some of the rogue features (like expertise) and adds something like a fighting style. And instead of a rogue subclass, they want to use the battlemaster fighter's subclass. Unless there is something glaring there to me, I'll probably allow it. However, if a player approaches me with a concept that is totally out of place in my game world, or something that will cause a lot of disruption like wanting to play a dragon, I probably won't. That doesn't mean I'm a DM who refuses to accept optional material, it means the more unusual the concept, the player should be aware that they might not be able to play it.

Corpsetaker

First Post
That is because of the other thread(s) which inspired this poll, in which a claim was made that most DMs don't allow non-official content of any kind.

So the poll is designed to test that very claim by presenting the options of A) some amount of non-official material of some kind is allowed, or B) "official only" is actually the case.

I need to step in here and say that Shiroiken and Capn Zapp are accurate. A DM throwing in a homebrew magic item or using a non D&D official setting, or even your home world doesn't count.

I think I will just go and create a more accurate poll.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I need to step in here and say that Shiroiken and Capn Zapp are accurate. A DM throwing in a homebrew magic item or using a non D&D official setting, or even your home world doesn't count.

I think I will just go and create a more accurate poll.

Sorry, you don't get to change the definition of what is "official" or "not official" to fit your own convenience. These terms are objective things with clear definitions. But go ahead and create your own poll. I'm betting it would be something that complains about 5e and/or the designers in some way...

*Edit* But this seems to be a trend for you. You complain about something not being there, and every time someone points out how said thing does exist, you always say it doesn't count for some arbitrary reason. The material counts because it exists. You just don't like it. So it's not that it's not there, it's just not what you want. Own your position man. There's nothing wrong with saying it's not what you want, but it's not accurate to say it doesn't count or doesn't exist.

Maybe because as a newish DM I'm not arrogant enough to assume I know better than a team of professional game designers? There are plenty of options that have been thoroughly tested in the official sources.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
How else do people become professional game designers? It's not like there are schools that give you a degree in D&D. Listening to the current D&D team talk about how they got into game design, it was because they started homebrewing.

JonnyP71

Explorer
PHB/SCAG Classes/Races/Feats only for my game. I don't allow multiclassing unless the story absolutely requires it - so the players actually have fewer options. They've not complained yet - with a fairly low death rate and controlled level progression they've only used 5 of the possible gazillion class/race/archetype/background combos thus far!!

But as the group are pretty new to the hobby, and the best adventures ever produced were those for Basic/Expert/1E (long before their time), I mostly convert those to 5E - along with relevant creature conversions, and treasures/magical items mostly of my own making.

Zhern

Explorer
Pretty sure that sound we all hear is EGG going apoplectic in his grave at some of the attitudes towards modifications of a set of guidelines. That yelp of pain? That was Chris Perkins having his soul burned by official stamps of approval.

Remove ads

Remove ads