• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does your spouse/significant other game with you?

Does your spouse/significant other game with you?

• Yes... He/She was gaming before we met

Votes: 53 30.8%
  • Yes... I introduced him/her to it

Votes: 53 30.8%
  • No... And probably never will

Votes: 50 29.1%
  • No... Tried it once or twice but didn't like it

Votes: 16 9.3%

Bigwilly

First Post
Tried it once, showed potential, never played again

Like a few others, my wife originally believed that I would grow out of it. Five years later, I think she's guessed the truth. She did join a single session and had fun despite having absolutely no grasp of the rules. I doubt she'll play again as she sees it as my hobby and doesn't want to feel like she's intruding on my free time - note that a good marriage is definitely one where both partners have some stuff that they do on their own.

Bigwilly

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
My fiancée gamed in college, but fell out of it after she graduated. She joined my Saturday gaming group shortly after we started dating, and has now begun to take an interest in wargamming; though I think she enjoys painting armies more than the actual game.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
KidCthulhu gamed back in Jr high school, and picked it back up in the late 80's after we met. She's an avid player and DM.

I actually know quite a few couples who game together, well over a dozen.

pogre

Legend
diaglo said:
my wife and i roleplay all the time....

IYKWIMAITYD :eek:

Hong clearly is having a bad influence on you D. Please avoid spending time in threads with him :D

My wife used to play in our group until we had kids. It just is not possible now - so she has become one who tolerates gaming. When you have three kids 4 and under her attitude is understandable.

Stormborn

Explorer
None of These

I suppose I could have chosen "yes, I introduced her to it" but thats not entirely correct. I had gamed a few sessions with some friends of mine and we decided that we needed another player. The DM worked with she-who-was-to-become-my-wife, I had seen her a few times, spoken, but not much more but suggested that she might be interested. She was. About a year later we started dating. About a year or so after that we got married. Yesterday was the 9 month mark and we spent the afternoon playing Pirates of the Spanish Main game at a local shop.
So I didn't REALLY introduce her to it, more like it introduced her to me :)

janta

First Post
Heck, gaming is how I met my husband! We had a mutual friend who wanted to GM a game, and invited us both to play. We'd never met until that time (though we'd lived on the same floor of one of the college dorms), and got to be friends. Then we discovered we had other stuff in common, and the rest, as they say, is history.

BTW, we have a 16-month-old son, and he's already got his first 20 sider. Ah, tradition.... :)

--Janta

KB9JMQ

First Post
My wife had gamed already in jr high by the time I met her in college.
But it was one of the things that got us togehter.

BSF

Explorer
My wife (Eeralai) had gamed before we met. So, I didn't introduce her to the hobby. I may have re-introduced her, but I was not responsible for the initial introduction.

poilbrun

Explorer
I introduced my girlfriend to gaming. We started dating and then living together a bit before the release of 3e, so when she saw me buy books for nearly 100€, she was rather intrigued (we were students, so 100€ for something other than beer was a lot!), so she asked me about it. After some explanation, she asked me to try, and since then, we've played several campaign with only the both of us.

Now that we work and have a car, I have finally been able to start a campaign with 3 other players: my best friend, who I introduced to rpg 3 months after I started playing myself, his girlfriend, who started playing a month and a half ago, and my sister, which started playing at the same time. Come to think of it, I'm the only one around the table who was not introduced to RPG by me! :D

Rafael Ceurdepyr

First Post
Hmm, what category does trading in one gaming spouse for another fit in? ;) Current spouse was a wargamer when I met him (which Stormborn refers to as a gateway drug), but not sure if he played RPGs. There were actually some games in which both then and future spouses played at the same time. Seems quite weird in retrospect...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads