• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dollhouse #9:Spy in the House of Love/Season 1/2009

Shroomy

Adventurer
Seems like a good guess.

That would be quite surprising for me. Why should Ballard switch sides?

Because he's obsessed with saving "Caroline" and discovering the secret of the Dollhouse, and what better way to save "his girls" and get revenge on them then from the inside. Plus, this kind of stuff has precedent in Joss Whedon shows...see Angel Season 5.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Much more fulfilling than last week. I'd say this is my favorite episode so far. I think it's because it was focused on characters that are "real," so to speak.

I should have called the spy being Dominick. Ah well. At least I was right about Ivy (good to know her name) being way too obvious.

I think this was one storyline that actually worked better with the longer windup. It wouldn't have been nearly as effective if this was towards the beginning of the show's run.

Also, channeling T:SCC (who love parallels)... I really like the parallels between Dominick and several of the dolls. The easy one: Dominick is a sleeper agent; November is a sleeper agent. Dominick was real and Adele couldn't really trust him; Viktor was fake and Adele really could trust him. Dominick seemed like he wanted to stay with the Dollhouse but was working against it; Echo seems like she'd want to escape the Dollhouse (Alpha-style!) but was helping it. I couldn't really draw one for Sierra.

I know I rag on Dollhouse a lot, so I want to talk about something I think they've done well all season. They seem to be playing a little lose with the structure of the episodes, and while the episodes themselves aren't always great, the altered structure really helps make things a little more interesting. This episode, for example, wouldn't have been as good (IMO) if it were straightforward. Last week's episode used that structure to good effect to make a point via the doctor.

DonTadow

First Post
Sadl another show canceled by Fox. And, from what I understand they are not showing the true season finale, but showing the episode before it as the season finale and hoping to sell the series on dvd with the actual season finale.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
And apparently the latest from the rumor-mill is that Dollhouse will now be cancelled, and the original season finale will not be aired.

Andre

First Post
And apparently the latest from the rumor-mill is that Dollhouse will now be cancelled, and the original season finale will not be aired.

A quick Google search suggests both rumors are incorrect. Per Entertainment Weekly, the decision on renewal will not be reached until May. As for the missing episode, I couldn't follow the minimal info available, but the studio claims that the extra episode is not the original season finale, is not an episode they ever agreed to purchase, and is an episode that sends the story off in a different direction.

Not sure what to believe about all of this, but I'll wait for an official announcement before assuming Fox has cancelled the show.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/04/fox-to-air-12-.html

Last edited:

fba827

Adventurer
Didn't Mellie/November tell Ballard that this would be the last transmission to him through the Dolls?

Actually there was a little more to that. November said something like "This will be the last transmission to him through the this body or others _if the sender is captured_" (something like that)
There was that last clause in there, I distinctly remember it for being a "well, that was a setup for something to happen to the sender" ;) But, thinking back, when Echo first gave a message to Ballard, I think she may have said the exact same sentence at the end.

satori01

First Post
It is ironic that the show gets canned just when it was really starting to pick up.

This is on Joss for:
1) Making a project w/ Dusku as the star when she is under contract to Fox.
2) Creating a show with a slow build up.

While I can not say the show was a dud, speaking for myself, I did give it a much longer grace period because it was a Whedon show.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I don't think that Dominic is a good guy at all... he's part of the conspiracy, only he's a puppet for a different master.

Well, I did put "good" in scare quotes for precisely that reason. Nevertheless, to the degree that he was involved in brining down the dollhouse, I do think he qualified in the broad sense as on the "good" side of the issue.

Of course, the first part of the season did such a good job of building him up as an SOB, that it's no surprise I suppose when he gets his comeuppance it's cause for some cheer.

Though I have to say I like Reed Diamond, and I hope we haven't seen the end of him.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads