• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Domhani Bairdéir 03

Leif

Adventurer
Cairn macSidhe, Thoughts on Last Rites

"Clun and Radharc suffer treachery from within. More than the old bonds of friendship tie the two together now...."

Cairn ponders these words. "So, what I glean from this speech is that Mayora is, indeed, involved in a tryst with someone. But surely that 'indiscretion' does not rise to the level of Treachery! There must be even more going on here than we feared, yes?"

mleibrock

First Post
Skáth

Mowgli said:
Looking somewhat appeased but throwing a frightened look at Skáth, the mortician backs out the door and up the stairs.

Cyr goes about making his preparations as the others examine the body, but there is nothing unexpected to be found here - he died of exsanguination caused by perforation by a long thin wooden object driven into his chest at terrific speeds.

Once his preparations are complete, Cyr stands close to the body and begins the standard 'Last Rights' ceremony for Domhan (the one appropriate for situations where no particular deity of the pantheon was worshipped, but homage was given to all - the case for most of the population). However, as he sprinkles, gestures, and prays something ususual begins to happen. His motions begin to slow, along with his praying. His words first slur somewhat, then come to a halt as his eyes take a vacant look. And then he speaks in a hollow voice that seems to echo, as though spoken from deep within a well:

"Clún and Radharc suffer treachery from within; more than the old bonds of friendship tie the two together now, but old friends are not at the core of this conflict. The Shadow that slew me promotes chaos for his own purposes. Unity only will prevail against Scáthach Craosach (OOC: 'Devouring Shadow' or 'Ravenous Shadow'). Now please release me into peace; I may speak no more."

With these final words, Cyr's eyes clear and his voice returns to normal, but a feeling of tension remains in the air of the small cellar.

Cyr shakes off the effects of the spirit possession and continues with his ceremony. Soon the entire party is engulfed in a blanket of peace and serenity; a warm lassitude fills each of you and the tension in the air dissipates.

As Skáth notices the mortician's fright, he will say, "Be not afraid we AND I mean no harm."

OOC - Did this voice originate from Cyr or from the body?

mleibrock

First Post
Skáth

Mowgli said:
Looking somewhat appeased but throwing a frightened look at Skáth, the mortician backs out the door and up the stairs.

Cyr goes about making his preparations as the others examine the body, but there is nothing unexpected to be found here - he died of exsanguination caused by perforation by a long thin wooden object driven into his chest at terrific speeds.

Once his preparations are complete, Cyr stands close to the body and begins the standard 'Last Rights' ceremony for Domhan (the one appropriate for situations where no particular deity of the pantheon was worshipped, but homage was given to all - the case for most of the population). However, as he sprinkles, gestures, and prays something ususual begins to happen. His motions begin to slow, along with his praying. His words first slur somewhat, then come to a halt as his eyes take a vacant look. And then he speaks in a hollow voice that seems to echo, as though spoken from deep within a well:

"Clún and Radharc suffer treachery from within; more than the old bonds of friendship tie the two together now, but old friends are not at the core of this conflict. The Shadow that slew me promotes chaos for his own purposes. Unity only will prevail against Scáthach Craosach (OOC: 'Devouring Shadow' or 'Ravenous Shadow'). Now please release me into peace; I may speak no more."

With these final words, Cyr's eyes clear and his voice returns to normal, but a feeling of tension remains in the air of the small cellar.

Cyr shakes off the effects of the spirit possession and continues with his ceremony. Soon the entire party is engulfed in a blanket of peace and serenity; a warm lassitude fills each of you and the tension in the air dissipates.

As Skáth notices the mortician's fright, he will say, "Be not afraid we AND I mean no harm."

OOC - Did this voice originate from Cyr or from the body?

Scotley

Hero
Gavril

"Gods..." mutters Gavril under his breath. Then composing himself somewhat he adds, "I don't care for this business Cyr. I must say that I am impressed with your skills. I must also say that the idea of such consorting with spirits makes me a little quesy. I had a close encounter with a shadow demon once who may well be the shadow of your...whatever you call that spirit voice bit. Anyway, we have been operating under the assumption that our ex-friend was bonded by a current living person, when this seems to suggest that he now embodies the shadow." He sighs, "Cyr do you know anything of this shadow?"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Cyr Escunar

Cyr finishes the ceremony and stands for several seconds stock still breathing deeply. Then he turns, his calm restored.

Listening to Gavril he responds:
[sblock=For All]
I don't care for this particular bit either friend Gavril. I doesn't happen very often, most people die and go to afterlife. But, then, most die peacefully. Even when someone has something to say, it is usually contact initiated by me, I have spirit guardians to protect me from this kind of forceful contact.

As with all guardians, they are not perfect. And what's worse, they are sentient so they may decide that a message is important enough to allow the spirit access.

If not for my training, I'd be dead or roving lunatic a dozen times over as spirits vie for the body to inhabit. Occasionaly, a guardian may take over to save me if I'm incapacitated. At other times I will allow him access simply as, hm, lets say payment, for his services. I'll warn you when this kind of change is voluntary and probably isolate myself from others.

I'm sorry for discomfiting you, I understand it is not something anybody would want to know about. We Coimirceoir deMarbh are used to prejudice, fear and misunderstanding. I ask of you to keep your mind open and trust me when I say that not all spirits are evil just as not all Daoine are baby snatchers or not all humans are sociopaths. Spirits are those same people, just dead ones. Yes, they get changed by experience, but new spirits (that is, those recently deceased) are mostly same person they were in life.

Evil spirits are those who cannot pass on because of some unfinished business that go mad from lonelyness or frustration or simply time that passes. Or they were evil to start with, but those are special kind and most dangerous.

It is really not so much different then ranger accompanied by tamed bear or mountain hound or some other beast. Only, my partners are dead. When we sit down, I'll discuss my powers with you and answer any and all questions you might have. And also obtain permission or prohibition to use some of them on you.

We should go and discuss everything in peace.

[/sblock]

As for my knowledge of shadows...I know of undead shadows, but you encountered shadow demon. These might or might not be the same. If it is some kind of undead, my powers will be devastating. If it's living demon with shadow properties not so much.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Gavril

"Thank you for taking the time to educate me in such matter friend Cyr. I agree we should depart to a place of peace and discuss matters. Are your rituals and preparations complete?"

OOC: We did search the body when first it fell in the park didn't we? If not Gavril will suggest that Cyr make sure there are no notes or other messages upon him before we depart.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Cyr Escunar, the priest

Yes, ritual is complete. Dubhghlas body will remain pure, his spirit at rest.

We can go now.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
OOC:

OK, it's just the Críu downstairs with the body. Everyone's there. The mortician has retreated upstairs, where he likely waits for y'all to conclude your business and vacate his home/office.

I'm not sure, but I think I let time get away from me - by rights, it should be the wee hours of the morning now. I don't think y'all have stopped to rest since Gavril had his assignation, which would have lasted until close to mid-night. However, it doesn't make sense for you to have gone to the mortician at that time of evening, so I'm making a GM Time Warp and we're saying it's fairly late evening of the day after Gavril's twist when you conclude your business at the morgue.

You've been told that Deasaigh's part in this is likely at the behest of the Shadow Demon you've encountered previously, and that this entity has as his purpose the sewing of chaos. The part of the situation you are here to investigate would seem to be a plot against the Queen, the Maors Clún and Radharc, and their respective Maora, and your next best chance to move further toward the heart of the matter appears to be during the diplomatic visit between Clún and Radharc. The Maor Clún and his party are scheduled to leave for said Diplomatic Visit early tomorrow.

Did I miss anything?

What will you do now?

Remove ads