• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dominate Person - Question

DogBackward

First Post
The dominated Person simply can´t know what spell should be cast on him, so he will resist everything that is not coming from the dominator. It could also be a vampiric touch spell or what ever a touch spell could be.

There is no should involved. The description of Dominate Person specifically states that they only do what they're specifically ordered to do. It doesn't change their alignment, or their allegiances in any way. If you're not ordered to resist the spells of your allies, then you won't.

Dominate Person: School enchantment (compulsion) [mind-affecting]. Dominate's effects on feelings is unstated but within the reach of its descriptors.

And it's within the descriptors of the Minor Image spell to create images that make sounds and have thermal effects, but that doesn't mean you can do that with Minor Image. Dominate Person, again, doesn't change who your allies are. It only allows one to control the actions of another creature. If the spell changed the target's perceptions of who is an ally and who is not, then the spell would say so.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
There is no should involved. The description of Dominate Person specifically states that they only do what they're specifically ordered to do. It doesn't change their alignment, or their allegiances in any way. If you're not ordered to resist the spells of your allies, then you won't.

And it's within the descriptors of the Minor Image spell to create images that make sounds and have thermal effects, but that doesn't mean you can do that with Minor Image. Dominate Person, again, doesn't change who your allies are. It only allows one to control the actions of another creature. If the spell changed the target's perceptions of who is an ally and who is not, then the spell would say so.

It can't effect your inherent nature (allegiances/feelings/etc) because the spell specifically states "any action against your nature" allows another Will save to throw off the Domination. So unless you're inclined to normally attack your party, you won't do that without a new Will Save, similarly if you wouldn't normally resist a spell from a friend I would think the order to resist spells from "ally's" would generate a new will save as well.

Either way I agree that unless specifically ordered to resist you wouldn't resist a from a friend or ally. You know the vampire isn't your ally, but you don't have any choice but to follow his orders, that doesn't mean you have to do things that he hasn't ordered you to do though.

DogBackward

First Post
It can't effect your inherent nature (allegiances/feelings/etc) because the spell specifically states "any action against your nature" allows another Will save to throw off the Domination.

Yes, any action. You'll note that "Changing Allegiance" and "Suddenly Hating My Friends" are not shown on list of actions that can be taken. You can be forced to do something, you can't be forced to think something.

Jcosby

First Post
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I think the biggest thing I missed was the "Su:" portion of the ability. It's "like" dominate person but still a supernatural ability. So, the command could come in the same round.

As for the PfE effects I believe they would allow the second save at +2, then the target would not be able to be commanded.

Also, I believe the command needs to state the target would resist all incomming spells, other then from himself. Unless the target has spellcraft they would not be able to tell what spell it is. Even if they do, they might fail the check.

Also, the the +2 and +2 for the saves would infact stack since they come from different types/sources.

Thanks to everyone again. I have a Level 6 Paladin turned Anti-Paladin that was turned into a Vampire as a boss for a level in a dungeon and I wanted to make sure I played him correctly as he's going to be a very tough fight for the party.

Jeff

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I have a Level 6 Paladin turned Anti-Paladin that was turned into a Vampire as a boss for a level in a dungeon and I wanted to make sure I played him correctly as he's going to be a very tough fight for the party.

Jeff

I killed a PC and brought four to single digit hit points last weekend with four graveknights, with the leader being an anti-paladin. Negative energy channels devastated the party. Though they finally 'killed' him, they really hate that NPC. Of course this weekend, he'll be back - I rolled the d10 for number of days until fully restored. The others were 4 days, and 2 at 9 days, but the anti-paladin rolled 1 day. (The party took their armor as treasure, and some of them are wearing it.)

Though he'll be alone this time, so more easily defeated, still, he'll be a rude awakening for this weekend's game.

Last edited:

Jcosby

First Post
Actually I was thinking of the negitive energy channel and the dominate person as the two powers that will be very effective against the party. Of course the party has a Cleric and a Paladin in the party so they have more "Channel" power then the Vampire - AntiPaladin has. What I'm worried about is putting in minions that are undead with him as that makes his channel much more effective. He is CR7 as he is built and the party is 5 characters at 5th level (APL5) So, it's already a +2 CR fight but I honestly don't think the 5 characters (Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Fighter, Paladin) will have much problem against him solo.

I want this to be a Hard to Very Hard fight as the Vampire Anti Paladin is a "Boss" end fight but I don't want to TPK the party with an over CR fight either. I was considering making this a 2 part fight. Fight one would be his two lieutenants (3rd Level Fighters + Vampire Spawn) would engage the party a couple rounds into the fight the Vampire would show up, summon his wolves and wade into the melee.

When the Vampire takes at least 60-70% of his life in damage he would gaseous form out and retreat leaving the wolves and spawn to fend for themselves. The party would then have to track the Vampire back to his room and fight him again. He's powers would be used, but his health would be back to 100% thanks to Heal/5.

Once he is reduced to 0 hps it's auto gaseous form to his coffin, where the party if they can find it can end him once and for all.

Jeff

Remove ads