• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dominate Person

STARP_President

First Post
The book says it works like this:
I cast the spell on you and tell you to protect me. You'll therefore attack anyone who attacks me. If I tell you to go for a walk, you'll go and keep walking until I tell you to stop, although you will eat, sleep, et cetera. If, however, I tell you to kill yourself, you won't do it.
What if I tell you to stay perfectly still? Is that a self-destructive order? If I say 'keep still, don't move, no matter what,' will you just sit there, catatonic-like, until I say otherwise? Keeping in mind, of course, this means I can attack you, coup de grace you, bite you if I'm a vampire using the dominate ability and so forth. What would your call be if you're the DM?

Thanee

First Post
CdG wouldn't really work (tho, it's kinda dodgy), since the target is not helpless.

Other than that, it would certainly be valid; keep in mind, that an attack would end the spell, tho.

Also, the target would still go eating and sleeping, obviously, but if that is not necessary, stand still where you dictated it.

Bye
Thanee

Henrix

Explorer
I would definitely say that keeping absolutely still while being attacked is self-destructive. And as the subject would not keep still a coup de grâce would not be possible.

And I do think that it would be self-destructive to hold still if the vampire said "hold still while I bite you to death". "Let me kiss you" is a better strategy.

And I do not think that the dominated would sit "catatonic-like" still, even if told to do that. He would sit as still as he could, as if he wished to sit still.

"Lie down and sleep" would result in him lying down trying to sleep. When he had fallen aslep you could bite him or attempt a coup de grâce.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
STARP_President said:
Keeping in mind, of course, this means I can attack you, coup de grace you, bite you if I'm a vampire using the dominate ability and so forth. What would your call be if you're the DM?
I'd just ask the guy to close his eyes as well, and this would work just fine.

"Stand still, right there and close your eyes. This won't hurt a bit"

Whack.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking charm spells turn the subject into a mindless zombie. If someone tells you to close your eyes and you're under the effects of a dominate person spell, you'll close your eyes. But you can still ask why and force a Bluff check or do a Sense Motive check. If it's just a charm spell, you can really question the request. If my best friend told me to close my eyes, I'd ask why before doing so.

Henrix

Explorer
Saeviomagy said:
I'd just ask the guy to close his eyes as well, and this would work just fine.

"Stand still, right there and close your eyes. This won't hurt a bit"

Whack.
That is attacking someone who is blinded (temporarily) and flatfooted. Still not helpless.

Chorn

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
If someone tells you to close your eyes and you're under the effects of a dominate person spell, you'll close your eyes. But you can still ask why and force a Bluff check or do a Sense Motive check.
If you're dominated, you will close your eyes. I command you to close your eyes and let my will be done! Bwhahaha! Sorry. :heh: Dominate Person is no simple charm, but a compulsion effect. For all intents and purposes, you're a mental puppet that will do as its master pleases.

Push the puppet too far and he'll break free. Telling a subject to stand defenseless would trigger the save, but telling him to close his eyes probably wouldn't unless it's obvious that it will put his life in danger. For example, if the master's loading up his crossbow and getting ready to shoot then you bet the victim has enough press to force a save.

If it's just a charm spell, you can really question the request. If my best friend told me to close my eyes, I'd ask why before doing so.
Yeah just do it. It's a surprise. It's not like we're going to hurt you or anything. :]

Spatula

Explorer
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Don't fall into the trap of thinking charm spells turn the subject into a mindless zombie. If someone tells you to close your eyes and you're under the effects of a dominate person spell, you'll close your eyes. But you can still ask why and force a Bluff check or do a Sense Motive check. If it's just a charm spell, you can really question the request. If my best friend told me to close my eyes, I'd ask why before doing so.
Charm person is a charm spell, and makes the target think the caster is a good friend.

Dominate person not a charm but a compulsion, and it forces the target to obey the caster's commands. It can be a death sentence, but then so can many other 5th+ level spells. The killer spells start appearing at 4th level, actually.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads