• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dominated by a vampire that went poof! Now what ?

What happen to the barb ?

• Continue to massacre the party until dispelled ?

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Stand there and do nothing ?

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Dominate end with the demise of the vamp ?

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 10.9%

Yig

First Post
In last session, the party fought against a vampire and his spawns.

The vamp only had to time to dominate the barbarian (who had already acted) before getting turned to ashes by a well placed Searing Light.

So, what should happen ?

Thanee

First Post
I'd say, the last command (if any, otherwise just act as described under dominate, mostly standing around) would still be executed until the duration runs out.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
The domination doesn't end so whatever the last command was applies. If no command, then as Thanee says. Note that the vampire isn't actually gone, just turned to gas and could possibly return and issue a command to the barbarian.

I voted #1, with a proviso.

Given:

SRD said:
Dominate (Su): A vampire can crush an opponent’s will just by looking onto his or her eyes. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the vampire must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. Anyone the vampire targets must succeed on a Will save or fall instantly under the vampire’s influence as though by a dominate person spell (caster level 12th). The ability has a range of 30 feet.

... and ...

SRD said:
Once you have given a dominated creature a command, it continues to attempt to carry out that command to the exclusion of all other activities except those necessary for day-to-day survival (such as sleeping, eating, and so forth).

... and ...

SRD. Dominate Person said:
Changing your instructions or giving a dominated creature a new command is the equivalent of redirecting a spell, so it is a move action.

... and ...

SRD said:
Duration: One day/level

The barbarian will continue to follow the last command given until the duration runs out. Note that the Vampire's Dominate ability is Supernatural, and therefore is not subject to dispel magic.

DMG 3.5 Errata said:
Table 8–1
Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 290

Problem: The table indicates that supernatural abilities can be dispelled. This is not true in v.3.5.

Solution: In the Dispel row, Supernatural column, change Yes to No.

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

I remember a general rule, that spells cease to work if the caster dies, but I can`t find it right now. (Was this changed in 3.5, too?) If not I`d say it applies to this situation and so I`ve voted.

Kodam

Infiniti2000

First Post
Kodam said:
I remember a general rule, that spells cease to work if the caster dies, but I can`t find it right now. (Was this changed in 3.5, too?) If not I`d say it applies to this situation and so I`ve voted.
For the sake of argument, let's assume that's correct (but it's not). In this case, the 'caster' is not dead, so you voted wrongly. Reread the description of fast healing on vampires.

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

Right, the Vampire is not destroyed, but he loses all Supernatural Abilities. I think one can argue both ways but I'll stay with my vote.

Kodam

TheGogmagog

First Post
Kodam said:
Hi!

Kodam
Just spells that require concentration end. Spells that can be dismissed continue.

Remove ads