• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Don't buy bullets from Monte Cook

Scaramanga

First Post
I love the second Tome of Horrors book. Incredible. Go buy it.

Just ignore Mr. Cook's reference to ammunition.

The blurb says, "If a role playing game is a gun, then a monster book is the ammunition. If that's the case, then Tome of Horrors is a case of hollow point, explosive shells!"

Never mind the fact that the word "case" appears in the same sentence twice. There is no such thing as explosive hollowpoints. There are indeed explosive bullets (though very rare on the market, ever since Regan was shot with one), and there are indeed hollowpoints. But since the points are hollow (being basically a lead shell that breaks apart on impact), there is nowhere to put the explosive!

Anyway, the book is a darling, and everyone should own a copy!

S'mon

Legend
HEAT shells don't exactly have hollow points in the pics I've seen, they have a shaped charge that detonates on impact... I suppose they do have a sort-of space in them though for the molten penetrator to be fired through... um... :)

BTW AFAIK hollow point bullets don't break apart on impact, being soft-nosed they just deform more for a bigger spread & reduced penetration -more damage to soft body, less chance of shooting through walls, so safer than full metal jacket for police work.

Scaramanga

First Post
hong said:
A HEAT tank round is basically a "hollow point, explosive shell".
Oh, yes, and I'm sure that's what Mr. Cook was talking about. :)

Besides, a High Explosive Anti-Tank round (M830) is not a hollowpoint. The cavities in the shell are filled with propellant and explosive.

Never mind. I just thought it was funny.

Henry

Autoexreginated
OK, don't do business with Monte if he becomes an Arms Dealer, check.

I'll keep him as a game designer, though. ;)

Wombat

First Post
I never worried overly about the fine points of munitions.

Of course that may have something to do with the fact that, after I first practiced on .22s, I have only fired blackpowder arms ;)

jasper

Rotten DM
do see you problem with case.
but just in case I get this visual of a dragon holding two uzis and unload a case of whopp beep going thru a case of ammo.

Mulkhoran

First Post
S'mon said:
BTW AFAIK hollow point bullets don't break apart on impact, being soft-nosed they just deform more for a bigger spread & reduced penetration -more damage to soft body, less chance of shooting through walls, so safer than full metal jacket for police work.

Excellent point S'mon, just so. I believe the weapon of choice you're referring to, Scaramanga, is commonly referred to as a "wad cutter". The bullet itself is deeply scored with grooves, causing it to fragment on impact, dispersing the force of the shot in multiple directions, and causing massive cavitation. Nasty little things.

This has been Lethal Weapons 101. Thank you for listening. Next time: White Phosphorus, or what to do when OH MY GOD IT WON'T GO OUT MY EYES MY EYES.

:p

rbingham2000

Explorer
jasper said:
do see you problem with case.
but just in case I get this visual of a dragon holding two uzis and unload a case of whopp beep going thru a case of ammo.
OK, now I want the stats for two dragon-sized Uzis... :D

Last edited:

Remove ads