• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Don't hate me...my 4th Edition Psion ver1.0

OU812

First Post
Here I go. Looking for constructive criticism.

I couldn't find anybody else's version so I made my own.

I got powers up to full Epic levels. 4 Paragon Paths, Heroic Feats and A magic Item.

Waddaya guys think?
:devil:

Attachments

• 4th Edition Psion1.pdf
    155.8 KB · Views: 793
  • 4th Edition Psion2.pdf
    194.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 4th Edition Psion3.pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 843
  • 4th Edition Psion4.pdf
    100.1 KB · Views: 149

DanmarLOK

First Post
My initial reaction is the stats seem all over the place that are used for attacks? Some are int, str, con, cha etc and that's just down through the first level or three.

The concept seems okay though even the first little bits have a good flavor to them for powers although I didn't do any balance checks, just reading the powers and visualizing them in use.

I'm going to grab the pdf's for further perusal.

Make a half-illithid race to go with them and you might have a total package. :)

OU812

First Post
I started focusig on Int and Cha only for powers, but a friend pointed out that a little mix makes sense. Right now I focused mainly on having Int or Cha the controlling stats for powers, and Con representing the psion's "mental strength" so to speak - or how much he can push his limits too.

OU812

First Post
They might, but if you look at the 1st level encounter powers for wizards, some of them resemble utility powers as well (Such as creating difficult terrain), but also do damage. I did the same, just left out the damage. I felt if it was more than just a utility power, it could be a Daily or Encounter as well. One problem I had with 4th (so Far) is that it always seems 98% of the powers are for attacks that do some kind of damage. I felt, especially with making the psion class fairly unique, it would makes sense to have powers that would technically work well as attacks but did no actual damage (Much like the old versions of Mind Blast-All it did was stun targets then, but was considered a powerful attack ability to have).

OU812

First Post
Come on guys...

Doesn't anybody else have an opinion? I really am looking for feedback and have heard only the two here so far.

:heh:

haaz

First Post
I have not read it really far, but many things disturb me:

-first, the role. No role ? No, it's not in the 4E spirit. If you want to do multiple roles, do multiple classes...
-second, it's really hard to read. Please, do something to distinguish at-will from encounter or daily powers ;)
-third, as it has already been said, many powers are utility powers, and not attack powers. Utility powers give you various bonuses, and attack powers damage or otherwise inflict a condition to at least one ennemy.
-fourth, some keywords are missing.
-fifth, I would think that it would be great to make implements for all psions and all powers. If psions have no implements, they will suffer at high levels where implements are important. Maybe tatoos, dorje or crowns, so you can keep the Orb implement feat that is quite a good idea.
-sixth, paragon paths usually have an ability at 11th level that improves action points. The other ability is gained at 16th level and not at 20th level.
-seventh, I like the stances, I think it fits the psion very well.
-eighth, make a difference between Success, and Effect. Success are the effects that apply on a successful attack roll, Effect are effects that do not depend on the success or failure of an attack roll.
-ninth, great job, all what I said before is just to improve the quality of your work ;)

OU812

First Post
Thank You!

I appeciate the constructive criticism.

one quick point: I decided to keep implements out because I thought it would help balance the nature of the class. Psionics tends to be more subtle as far as obvious powers go, and there are few who are truly immune to psychic attacks or damage, so I felt the basic nature of the class was powerful enough (especially with the status effects they can usually cause) that doing without implements in general made sense. Also, I always felt (just personally) that impliments just don't make a lot of sense for psions as they would rather depend on themselves and their own powers, than feeling the neccessity of having to improve their abilities with objects (Belief in one's own power is essential to psions in my opinion) or make even more obvious with items of where a psionic attack might be coming from. I also felt that there would probably be individual (magical?) items eventually that did offer small pumps in a pions power (Such as magical Crowns) without having to add any true implements from the begining.

inkpenavenger

First Post
Implements are almost always needed by non-weapon users though. I mean, weapons grant that crucial proficiency bonus to attacks. Implements are the only way for "magic" users to raise their attack bonuses. Without an implement, (especially in the epic tier) the fighter in the party could have like a +5 longsword (so total +8 attack bonus, and +5d6 on criticals), while your psion still has only his ability modifier and no extra dice for critical hits.

As far a an implement to use goes, you could use crystals. I'd say give them powers similar to orbs and rods.

OU812

First Post
I did give them access to Orbs...if they want it. I just made it a feat choice rather than a class ability. I even made an Orb specifically for Psions. As I said, I felt that implements, while an interesting concept, don't truly fit with most psion concepts...In addition Psions are more comfortable with disabling or immobilizing their opponents. It just fits within their power concept better. Extra bonuses to hit and damage are nice, but when your enemies are either going to be stunned senseless usually or immune completely to half your abilites, extra bonuses to hit and damage seems a little overboard and unbalancing.

However, I also see your point. Let's hear any other takes on this or any other subject.

Remove ads