• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Don't open that door!

The_lurkeR

First Post
So what is behind those doors?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/14/n...gin&adxnnlx=1184472751-hdmHU0biDWr+PSY+r3SWjg

It started with an ever-expanding sinkhole at the entrance of the Mystic Pointe condominiums here and led to an excavation this spring that revealed an underground complex of brick chambers with vaulted ceilings.

Now the subterranean structure, believed to date to the mid-19th century, is a mystery just begging to be solved. Is it as pedestrian as a root cellar? Or as storied as a stop on the Underground Railroad? Does it stretch beyond the cluster of at least nine known rooms to connect to tunnels elsewhere?

(Inspired by those old threads that collected real world news to inspire gaming ideas. Can't find the threads or remember who used to do them right now, but I'm sure someone will remember.)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
That's kind of cool. Reminds me of all the now abandoned fallout shelters sealed beneath several cities and towns in the American Midwest (the little town in Kansas where I grew up had several of them constructed under churches and the like; the signs for the one located beneath the old post office still hung on the building when I was a kid). If you've ever lived someplace with "tornado" sirens, chances are that there are a few long forgotten fallout shelters (or missile silos) in your neck of the woods, too (such sirens were installed in most towns to warn of the supposedly imminent Communist missile attacks).

Gez

First Post
It's just too bad it's simple brickwork; it would have been so much cooler if it had been green marble engraved with inhuman faces and twisted depictions of obscene rituals.

phindar

First Post
Cities of the Underworld on the History Channel is great for inspiration of this sort. I just caught the one on Naples that said over 2/3's of the city is built over existing tunnel complexes dating back to Greek quarries. The one on Edinburgh was pretty good, although those are the only two I've seen.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
They found it? Damn! Now I'll have to relocate the Amber Chamber yet again!

Other than that, I second those who've been saying that this is probably one of the things that was not meant to be found, and doubly not meant to be opened. Let me play Dark Prophet and predict how it is going to be: They decide to go the cheap way and destroy the place, and one or two people who are against that will start searching the place frantically to find something that will save the place. They'll find a secret door, maybe a trapdoor, open it, and unleash hell. Those of you who live near that place (say, on the same continent): This might be the ideal time to think about taking an extended holiday somewhere else. :uhoh:

Remove ads