D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

Clint_L

Hero
Is there a big movement to throw away 5e because of Hasbro?

It seems likely to me that most people who have already migrated to other 5e games from D&D probably aren't too worried about Hasbro and have already made that divorce.

I doubt most D&D players even know that Hasbro is WotC's parent company. Actually, I bet most of them don't even know or care who WotC is. I'm pretty confident that most of my players could care less.

Dire Bare

Legend
I was going to bail on 5e during the OGL scandal, but I came back once they agreed to relent on the changes that they had planned and pushing the game into CC.

However, the behavior of the wider 5e community on social media and YouTube since the OGL scandal is definitely dampening my enthusiasm in the same way that Star Wars fandom turns me off of that franchise. I am just not sure I want to be associated with anything that toxic.

Fortunately, I do still have EN World and a small handful of YouTube channels which are among the few places where I feel things are being talked about reasonably as a community.
Star Wars sure does have some toxic fans online. As does every franchise, including D&D.

The toxic fans do not represent the fanbase as a whole, not even a majority of the fanbase. They are just loud. IMO, it's silly to drop your love of something like Star Wars or D&D because some fans online are terrible, terrible people. Just don't engage with those toxic fans.

Greg K

Legend
I don't see myself buying D&D 2024, because I haven't seen much of anything that has impressed me with the playtest (just as I have not seen anything from WOTC after the core books that made me want to continue buying WOTC products for D&D 2014). On the other hand, there have been several 5e third party products for free as well as for pay on DrivethruRpg and DMsGuild worth picking up (imo).

Provided, players can still get the 5e (2014) PHB for a reasonable price, 5e will remain one of several choices along with Savage Worlds, Icons: Assembled, Mutants & Masterminds, Magnum Fury, Black Star, Barbarians of Lemuria, Honor + Intrigue, Tinyd6 games, Everyday Heroes, Spycraft, D&D 3e, and a few other rpgs.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
I don't see myself buying D&D 2024, because I haven't seen much of anything that has impressed me with the playtest (just as I have not seen anything from WOTC after the core books that made me want to continue buying WOTC products for D&D 2014).
Dude, fair enough, but I'm playing a monk right now and she is way more fun using the 2024 update!

Vaalingrade

Legend
Well Hasbro is funding it.

You need a market to sell in.
So you either need a giant fan base or a big company advertising one.
If you 'need' a big company, you 'need' multiple ones to create competition.

Otherwise you'd end up with the outlandish circumstance of a rudderless game stagnating for nine years, then missing almost every chance to innovate during its anniversary glow-up because they feel they have a captive audience. Which would never happen.

Remove ads