• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I agree no one should be the steward of the industry.

I do not agree that publishers will "slaughter" each other, there is enough to go around for everyone (assuming dnd burns to the ground, which it probably won't anytime soon). Tales of the Valiant and A5E both co-exist and don't "slaughter" each other for scraps at wotc's table. Both of them bring new variety and new ideas, and variety is the spice of life.
That's because Hasbro/WOTC/D&D is the big corporate punching bag.

I'd hate to see the anti-WOTC clickbaiters if D&D's out the picture.

Art Waring

halozix.com
The only way for this to change is for other companies to create actually good games, that have good, non-toxic communities that support and advocate for them inclusively.

Is there a beloved game that doesn't get the attention it deserves? Something is missing from the mix.
"the only way" is to see that there is no true one way of doing anything.

That said, "
The only way for this to change is for other companies to create actually good games"
Is a pretty harsh statement, so is dnd the only "actually good game" to you? That is pretty insulting to the thousands of non-dnd rpg's out there.

And if you mean good games without toxic fanbases, well, those don't really exist, do they? Every fanbase has some element of toxicity, that is unavoidable, just like this community requires mods.

mamba

Legend
Regardless of any of the numbers, there is a hard cap on the entire industry, as without GM's, we don't have any games to play in (and no one to buy books).
the number of DMs is not really a hard cap though, people can choose the be DMs, just like they can choose to play a TTRPG in the first place

That second number is probably drastically increased by D&D (and by extension the number of DMs as well)

If dnd fails, GM's might adopt other games, instead of constantly being forced to play dnd because of peer pressure.
it’s not so much about what existing DMs do, it is about onboarding new players and DMs

mamba

Legend
And that is the exact reason the rest of the industry has struggled, because dnd/ wotc is so monolithic, it may as well be a monopoly.
I think you are confusing cause and effect, if the other games could attract much more players, D&D would not be as dominant. As it stands, it is D&D players branching out more than new players being attracted to most other games

pablomaz

Villager
I've always enjoyed 5e, but I'm tired of its limitations and the corporate need to transform it into a "TTRPG live service". The "all we need is 5e" movement also annoys me, as if 5e was the "ultimate" rendition of D&D or, worse, the ultimate TTRPG. 5e is D&D, and that system is not the best option for any other thing - not even D&D.

Art Waring

halozix.com
That's because Hasbro/WOTC/D&D is the big corporate punching bag.

I'd hate to see the anti-WOTC clickbaiters if D&D's out the picture.
Wotc did this to themselves, repeatedly, but it seems like you are content to blame those who are pointing out their mistakes, rather than the source.

No other company tried to burn down the entire industry surrounding them. Most companies have co-existed for many years, and many employees move from one company to the next without any drama. A lot of creators in the industry all know each other, but from your account they are all blood-thirsty savages waiting for the walls of Rome to crumble.

I won't address your "clickbait" comment because that's a separate issue more to due with algorithms than the industry itself, as it plagues almost every industry out there.

mamba

Legend
The "all we need is 5e" movement also annoys me, as if 5e was the "ultimate" rendition of D&D or, worse, the ultimate TTRPG.
if it were the ultimate TTRPG, there would be no ‘5e movement’

5e is D&D, and that system is not the best option for any other thing - not even D&D.
this is entirely a matter of personal preference

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I think you are confusing cause and effect, if the other games could attract much more players, D&D would not be as dominant. As it stands, it is D&D players branching out more than new players being attracted to most other games
I don’t even know what to say…

I keep hearing I must play other games but just don’t want to. Maybe some becmi as a lark. Maybe some OSRIC for the feels…

But I really like D&D. I have been exposed to other stuff but am really looking for D&Disms.

I keep hearing it’s not good…

It’s like people telling me a certain kind of music I love is substandard. Ok…thanks for the tip? I listened to “that” and don’t like it. Really I am not just brainwashed. I really don’t like X game better. Not sure what else to say.

mamba

Legend
I don’t even know what to say…

I keep hearing I must play other games but just don’t want to. Maybe some becmi as a lark. Maybe some OSRIC for the feels…
been there, done that (well, 1e and 2e), I have no real desire to go back, out of the D&Ds I like 5e best. I would like it more on the grittier side than superheroic, but I’d rather tweak 5e than go back to 1e

But I really like D&D. I have been exposed to other stuff but am really looking for D&Disms.

I keep hearing it’s not good…
different strokes… there are plenty of games some people like that I have no interest in, it goes both ways

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads