Doom of the Savage Kings

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Franko is greatly relieved as he was not relishing using his next possible spell.He shudders at the thought, though someone watching him might think he just shuddered at the oily mess that was once the hound.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Kurl laughs. "Of course we did it. My god watches over this group and blesses our endeavors. Later, I shall re-consecrate this altar in his name. But I really need to get a hammer and chisel and maybe some stone masonry lessons to make it look right."

Tender wipes the blood from his blade and shakes his head. "I'm just glad we managed without losing any of our own. How about we find ourselves a warm hut and some mead?"

Boral nods at this. "Some mead would be good. If only I still had my cow we could manage up some decent milk." He gives a far off look, saddened by his loss. He then looks to the northeast and ponders the meaning of the black, retreating smoke. "Odd that."

Scott DeWar

"Yes, very odd indeed" Echos Hank.

Homer stands there looking about, "What, uh, just happened?" He looks around not convinced the beast is gone.

Franko smiles, "The fates are indeed with us!'

GlassEye

Adventurer
Morgan glances in the direction the black smoke traveled and shivers. Quickly she turns away and back to the group. "Well, it's gone, whatever it was. And that means we can go back to the village. My father was quite distraught when my name was drawn as sacrifice; he'll be pleased to welcome my saviors."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Boral walks up to help Morgan down and says, "Then please guide us. We'll guard you along the way, especially for a warm hearth at the end of the journey."

Kurl draws a line in the dirt from where the creature fell to the general direction of where the black mist traversed. "Just in case we want to investigate later," he says with a shrug.

Tender takes point, sword and shield at the ready.

Scott DeWar

Homer and Hank nod to Kurl at the making of the line. Franko on the other hand is a bit on the concentration level of "look at the squirrel . . Hearth and mead!!"

GlassEye

Adventurer
Traveling a muddy path to the west the wooded moors give way to mistladen fields. Ahead, up the narrow track, stands the village of Hirot. The village is defended by a low earthen rampart topped with a wooden palisade. Behind the village, a causeway rises to a great hall resting atop a craggy ridge. Black hearth-smoke hangs forlornly over the village, as if even the smoke were too frightened to venture beyond the village walls.

Solitary figures give out a cry, and a long mournful horn is sounded, echoing down the vale, declaring your approach to all. A pair of guards scramble down from a watch platform and move to intercept the travelers. They see Morgan first and call out.

"Morgan Haverson! Defying the Jarl?! What do you think you are doing?"

GlassEye

Adventurer
Morgan's back stiffens with annoyance at her treatment by the guards. "I'm going home to my father." She motions towards the group. "And as these men have said, the beast is dead. Slain by their hands; I saw it with mine own eyes." Her demeanor softens and she turns back to Kurl. "If it is hot porridge and bread you desire, I think I can accommodate you: my father is proprietor of the Wolf Spear, Hirot's finest inn."

"Only inn," mutters one of the guards.

A voice comes from the side, just inside the gate, as another guard steps into view. This one is a man of some authority; stern, hawkish, and sporting a long mustache and fierce eyes that he turns on the travelers.

"Dead, you say?" He glances at your weapons. "You cut it down? And what happened then? Did it turn to a black cloud and fly away?" He can obviously read from Morgan's expression that that is indeed what happened. He sighs. "Foolish girl, it's not dead, just driven off for a time. It'll be back and ready to take vengeance in a night or three." He looks long over the group and seems satisfied with what he sees. "Fighting men, I see. I'm Nothan the Younger, Master of the Watch. I'll tell you somewhat: the Hound makes its lair in the Sunken Fens. Can't be killed though; I put my own blade through its heart and saw the same black cloud you did. It'll be back. Get along now. I'm sure Bull Haverson will be glad to see his daughter alive again."

Remove ads