Doppel Is A Physical Digital Miniature!

Upload your custom image and sound effects to this LED miniature.

cb260d69e1837927d8ab1299b70053df_original.png

Instead of a giant case of miniatures, you could soon be using a handful of programmable LED minis. These new gadgets, currently on Kickstarter, allow you to display your character's custom image on both sides of a twin-screen standee.

And it's not just visual--these minis also make noises! You can have character specific sound effects from sword clashes to spellcasting.

Designed for a 1-inch grid, these minis represent regular medium-sized creatures. It will set you back about $160 per mini (each with a charging case) on the Kickstarter, although the eventual retail price will apparently be closer to $280.

The Kickstarter cites compatibility with D&D, Star Wars, Fate, Vampire, Numenera, Pathfinder, and Cypher System, although I'm not clear what's required to make an image compatible with a game.

You can find Doppel on Kickstarter here for the next 3 weeks.

Dire Bare

Legend
Wow, the negativity of this hobby is already in force here. Sigh. It's like some of us are competing on how cleverly we can put something down.

It's okay to not like this idea, to decide it isn't for you. But "gimmick" or "worse than NFTs"? Come on.

Personally, this isn't for me. The price point is impractical for my needs, and I don't care for the look of the product on the table (at least, according to the marketing images). But the basic idea is neat . . . good luck to Doppel, I hope they find their market for their product.

They are trying to solve a classic problem with using miniatures with D&D (or other RPGs) . . . no matter how large your miniature collection is, you never have the right one for every encounter you want to run.

When the technology gets to the point where the "miniature" is a clear, flat acrylic standee (similar in size to a Paizo stand-up pawn) and can project any image you download via an app . . . or better yet, a fully 3D holographic projection rising from a flat puck (miniature base) . . . I might be interested, if my gaming group in the old folks home isn't too technology phobic! :)

MGibster

Legend
I didn't think mankind could come up with a stupider idea than NFT's until I saw this.
This isn't actually a scam like NFTs are at least. Hi! My name is MGibster, and I like to paint miniatures. I am not the target customer for this product. If I'm using miniatures for a game, this product just isn't going to cut the mustard. Unless I wanted a squarish robot who changes its display expecting others to treat it as if it were the picture on display. That might work. I'd rather just us a quarter.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I have been the recipient of several expensive RPG gifts from my players, most recently LED dice. They're fine and they make the players feel good to give them. I think that's the big value here -- a big ticket item that is a fun dramatic gift to give. And they don't require renting a storage room, like a big collection of Dwarven Forge does.

I would rather have a big gift certificate from HeroForge than this, but the fact that this can be reprogrammed to show multiple characters has its value.

I wouldn't buy this, but I won't be mad if it shows up on my doorstep as a gift.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Wow, the negativity of this hobby is already in force here. Sigh. It's like some of us are competing on how cleverly we can put something down.

It's okay to not like this idea, to decide it isn't for you. But "gimmick" or "worse than NFTs"? Come on.

Personally, this isn't for me. The price point is impractical for my needs, and I don't care for the look of the product on the table (at least, according to the marketing images). But the basic idea is neat . . . good luck to Doppel, I hope they find their market for their product.

They are trying to solve a classic problem with using miniatures with D&D (or other RPGs) . . . no matter how large your miniature collection is, you never have the right one for every encounter you want to run.

When the technology gets to the point where the "miniature" is a clear, flat acrylic standee (similar in size to a Paizo stand-up pawn) and can project any image you download via an app . . . or better yet, a fully 3D holographic projection rising from a flat puck (miniature base) . . . I might be interested, if my gaming group in the old folks home isn't too technology phobic! :)
I was very disappointed with the posts on this thread, agreed. I just don't get it.

Reynard

Legend
I was very disappointed with the posts on this thread, agreed. I just don't get it.
Are we supposed to champion every idea coming from people trying desperately to cash in on the current popularity of D&D, regardless of how silly or untenable it may be.

People act like folks having negative opinions about A thing means there is nothing but negativity. That's hyperbolic and more than a little hypocritical. I guarantee I can find some posts where (general) you were being negative about something.

I think it is an overly expensive, gimmicky piece of ephemera meant to scrap some crowdfunds. There is a ton of that in the hobby space right now and we should all feel okay saying so.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Are we supposed to champion every idea coming from people trying desperately to cash in on the current popularity of D&D, regardless of how silly or untenable it may be.

People act like folks having negative opinions about A thing means there is nothing but negativity. That's hyperbolic and more than a little hypocritical. I guarantee I can find some posts where (general) you were being negative about something.

I think it is an overly expensive, gimmicky piece of ephemera meant to scrap some crowdfunds. There is a ton of that in the hobby space right now and we should all feel okay saying so.
They called it an nft..... This is an idea several people have tried. IMO, or isn't ready, but calling it like an nft? Seems over the top. No one said y'all had to like it, I don't. I have no issue with negativity. None.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads